Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 21, 2018   #1
CC8147
Tomatovillian™

Default Paste Tomato Variety Suggestions

Hi! As a relative Tomatoville newbie, I am not certain if my question is posed on the correct thread, but I am giving it a hopeful try. I am seeking suggestions for paste tomato varieties that would grow well in the Puget Sound region of Washington State. A few years ago my cousin and I both attempted to grow San Marzano tomatoes but had poor productivity and blossom end rot. We gave up growing this variety, but I would like to give paste tomatoes another go this year. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank very much!

As a side note, my soil is hard-pan so I grow tomatoes in 10 gallon nursery pots.
CC8147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2018   #2
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I've heard good reputation for Opalka from various gardeners, not just this forum alone, so I'm growing it this year.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2018   #3
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

I also gave up the san marzano due to low production and switched to 'organic roma' which is much better. I've heard good things about 'amish paste' but have not personally tried it.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2018   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

A piriform large fruited very dry meaty great sauce tomato with over the top production is Goldman's Italian American. Transforms when it makes sauce. There will be seeds in my offer, for SASE, that will be posted in a week or so.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2018   #5
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Giant garden paste hy churned out tomatoes all Summer last year it even laughed at the bacterial speck going on in the garden.
"I've heard good things about 'amish paste' but have not personally tried it." every time I have grown Amish Paste... it is not a paste. it is very juicy.

Last edited by clkeiper; January 21, 2018 at 08:13 AM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2018   #6
Lotte
Tomatovillian™

I have grown a very good one , Smiley Worms, 1 or 2 years ago.It was very productive, and was even good at slicing and eating raw, but fantastic for soups etcetera.
Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2018   #7
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Goldmans is a good one for sure. I'm trying Fiaschetto di Manduria as my early det. paste this year

https://uprisingorganics.com/vegetab...hetto-958.html
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2018   #8
Canehdian
Tomatovillian™

Doix Digits de Naples, Hungarian-Italian, and Orange Roma (from Tomatofest), have been the best ones for me.
Canehdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2018   #9
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Highly recommend Dix Doights( Ten Fingers of Naples) and Hungarian Iitallian....others that have performed well in my short season are Heidi, Striped Roman and Akers Plum Pink. Fiachetta di Manduria worked well too. You may not have enough heat for the piriforms....I rarely have enough season to get more than than a meager yield...and I have tried them often.
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2018   #10
kath
Tomatovillian™

BER can be a big problem in my garden, depending on the year, so I did a paste trial in 2016 with dozens of pastes and found that the winners for me for production and no BER were Santa Maria and Heidi. As it turns out, they taste pretty good fresh, too, so for me it's a win-win with these two.
We're on opposite sides of the country, but my climate conditions are very humid here, and these varieties also were the earliest to produce ripe fruit.
Haven't tried Smiley Worms, Fiaschetto di Manduria, Dix Doights, Orange Roma, or Akers Plum Pink.

Last edited by kath; January 21, 2018 at 12:00 PM.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2018   #11
CC8147
Tomatovillian™

I so appreciate everyone's valuable input. It truly gives me a starting point with my seeds/plant selection this year. Today will be a research day with your recommendations. This is exciting! I did not grow paste tomato varieties after my poor results with San Marzanos, but have regretted it each summer when it comes time to cooking with and making sauce with my tomatoes. This year, I told myself, will mark the return of paste tomatoes in my garden.
CC8147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2018   #12
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Paste Tomato Variety Suggestions

I'll second Kath's recommendations for Heidi and Santa Maria.

Another one I've been having good results with is Oroma -- very dense, not too juicy, described as determinate (I say semi), and holds for a long time after ripening. It's an Oregon State University release with seeds available from Victory Seeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2018   #13
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Earlier this year, I bought some seeds from Fred Hempel for his Marzano Fire. I haven't grown it yet, so I can't comment on its quality (though I do tend to really enjoy his releases).
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2018   #14
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Last year I got a free pack of seed for Black Vernissage from Baker Creek. They were very prolific, large cherry size, and great looking. Not so great for fresh eating. But cooked or (especially) roasted, they made a great sauce.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old January 21, 2018   #15
kath
Tomatovillian™

I always listen to what Father'sDaughter has to say about paste tomatoes, so of course I had to check out Oroma at Victory Seeds.

In the reviews, it was given 5 stars by someone who lives in WA:

"Excellent for the North

Staked and mulched these plants each had hundreds of tomatoes ripen with no bugs or diseases. Great for salsa, sauce, and make a sweet dried treat!

Reviewed by:★(omitted name)★from 49*N 9m N of Northport, Wa. 1850' elevation.★on 3/24/2012"
kath is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paste tomatoes , variety suggestions