Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old August 12, 2015   #16
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Swiss Chard Heirloom Seeds Fordhook Giant Swiss Chard was brought to the United States by Irish Immigrants around 1861.

Please Contact us with any information about Irish Vegetable History At: http://www.angelfieldfarms.com

An excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin E, and the mineral manganese, and a good source of the mineral zinc, conventional antioxidants, vitamin A “in the form of beta-carotene” Anti-Inflammatory Benefits. This Mediterranean Heirloom got its name from another Mediterranean vegetable, cardoon, celery looking plant with thick stalks that resemble those of chard these very delicious fresh greens made it way to the United States by Irish Immigrates 1861. This variety of “Swiss Chard” become a large commercially Growing U.S. Crops 1920’s. This mammoth strain easily reaches a full 2 feet tall and one of the largest Swiss Chard Varieties we've grown here at Angel Field. Once grown on this historical property as a summer and winter crop. This is the only variety that survived the great Snowy Season This year 2015. Swiss chard is native to Ireland, Mediterranean Region, Greek, and Switzerland. The Greek philosopher, Aristotle wrote about Swiss chard in the fourth century B.C. Angel Field research shows forth Irish Immigrates shared their Swiss Chard Medical Knowledge with the Natives Americans as Native Americans shared their Natives Secrets Plants.

I found this information about The Contraband Slaves.
The Contraband Story

http://video.pbs.org/video/1912027737/
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2016   #17
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I want to Thank everyone for helping me to become a Professional Farmer. I have the last house from the Contraband Slaves here in Hampton. Learning how to farm like the Natives Americans has been very hard work. Especially learning each fruit and vegetables the Native Americans taught the free Contraband Slaves to grow very close the water front took many years of Research, and you help. It hard trying to do all of this hard works while suffering from Dyslexia. My Ninth Grade Teacher taught me that President Abraham Lincoln suffered from dyslexia too and always stay focused. Saving this Historical House and the Muscadine Grape Vine along with the Food History of these forgotten Professional Farmers has just taken the best of my life and hopefully I have the same energy and time to learn the food history of Irish Americans. I want to thank everyone for being very patience with me over the last 10 years.

You can contact me anytime with any information about Irish Fruits & Vegetables History. .http://angelfieldFarms.com

My real Name is Joyce Beggs.
From the Homeless people to Forgotten Food History.

Our Mission
Angel Field Heirloom Farms Historical Property mission is to preserve the farming and food history of the Contraband Slaves who received freedom protection here during the Civil War from the Hon. Union General “Benjamin Franklin Butler” in May 23, 1861. Butler's decisions gave Contraband Slaves of all ages the first protection of Freedom, as they pour in to Fortress Monroe after the burning of the City of Hampton. The Contraband Slaves calling their new found home ““Chesapeake City” They brought with them Historical Seeds, Historical Plants, and especially a “Historical Muscadine Grapes Vine” which still growing strongly on our historical property. Native Americans taught the Contrabands Slaves to use the muscadine grapes as medicine. Along with Winter Squashes like the historical “Cushaw Squash” and other farming secrets Native’s Americans taught the Contraband Slaves to survive in the new found home called “Chesapeake City” by using the Native American Farming Secrets were able to survive and feed their families. Native American only shared their food secrets of their Native Plants with cultures they trusted. We hope to make available 2 year old cutting from our Historical "Muscadine Grape Vines" to plant on your property by selling plants from the Mother Vine from 1861. In 1910 the Muscadine’s Vines were being genetically altered, so it's our goal to make available pure cutting in 2015. So sign-up for our News Letters.
• Goals for 2014
• Native Americans also shared their farming & food secrets with Irish Americans. Angel Field Heirloom Tomatoes Goals for 2014 is collecting the food history from Ireland emigrants starting in 1847 as the Irish blood in my family arrived here in America around 1847-1861, with very little known about the seeds and plants they brought with them. Is’ our Mission to bring your New Varieties from Ireland in 2014. So please sing-up for our Newsletters as we add Heirloom Tomatoes Varieties from Ireland we grew here last summer and make seeds available for your home Garden. We will collect and sharing not only the seeds, but most importantly the fruits & vegetable plant characteristics and historical information about the seeds and plants varieties. The Irish Blood in my family come to American around 1861: same time the Contraband Slaves found their freedom here in Hampton Virginia during the Civil War. We have recovered some Dutch Heirloom Varieties this year as well and their heirloom seeds are being adding here to our E-Bay collection. .
• We welcome gardeners from all over the world to make contributions to the mission by buying our Heirloom & Open-pollinated Seeds to support our Missions and preserve our historical farming land & the History of the Contraband Slaves of Fort Monroe.
• Thank You

Framer Joyce Beggs
Old August 3, 2023   #18
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

June 28 2023 I had my first visit with the USDA. As a farmer, I tried to make it by myself. Making a Successful Business out of the Farming Market. But as the Pamenic destroyed many Family Businesses, it also destroyed us Hard Working Farmers. But the good News from my meeting was with the USDA learning of the Vertical Farming we do with our Pure Historical Vegetables Inventory each year. Especially learning the way we grow our Heirloom Tomatoes vertically was pure knowledge in my meeting.

We will be getting help, Amen!!.
Contact us at www.angelfieldfarms.com.
I also decided to include Summer Students in Camp to learn about these Beautiful Historical Fruits and Vegetables next year.

Farmer, Joyce Beggs
of Angel Field Heirloom Tomatoes
Old August 21, 2023   #19
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

I am still excited that the USDA Officials visit me on my special Farmland of Sheppard Mallory in front of Fort Monroe. The First fruit they saw was my Pear Tree, which was loaded with Heirloom Pears. Then our Puma Tree, Cherry Tree, & Green Apple Tree. The Apple Trees were planted by the Kirkpatrick Family who brought this part of Sheppard Mallory Farmland "by way of a Trade Money System for the Muscadine Grapevines that are still growing on our Heirloom Tomatoes Farm representing the 1500s. This land surrounding Fort Monres was the Native American Fruit Orchards.

Since the Native Americans helped my people get to Fort Monroe; my people made sure their Fruit Orchards remained back in their places as Native Americans shared their Farming & Healing Secrets for their New City in front of Fort Monroe. I can not believe this town in front of Fort Monroe; which was created by General Butler with President Abraham Lincoln's approval during the Civil War is forgotten from history & the World, Amen!!. It was a Joy, letting the USDA learn that my Great Great-Grandfather farmed on this land too, before asking General Bulter to Fight in the Civil War. Amen!!

I have delivered over 25 lbs of Pears off that tree, using my "Big New Scale".

Last edited by MrsJustice; August 23, 2023 at 01:05 PM.
Old August 23, 2023   #20
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Good Morning from Angel Field.

I am glad my Tomato Farm is closing down productions a little to deal with my overproducing Pear Tree. Over 30lbs of Pears, Amen!!

If you "Bake" pears with your white potatoes with Beef, create a gourmet country dinner, Amen!!

Just use only 1 white potato with 2 cups of chopped-up Pears and a cup of "Green Zebra Tomatoes.
Old August 23, 2023   #21
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

My Green Zebra Tomatoes loved growing in the "hot sun this year of 2023.
Old August 26, 2023   #22
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Well, my First order of Bushel Basket & i/4 Bushel Baskets will be here soon.

They are good old-fashioned farmers' pride, but the cost is very high. I will make sure to put chains on them while displaying them in my Markets or Farmer Markets. I truly understand the concepts of the Farming Industry measuring every crop by Bushel in all the studying I have been doing to understand my Visit with the USDA.

I am hoping that the Decorative Pretty Plastic Baskets and Heirloom Tomatoes Display Plates I have been using will match the same qualities of the Buschel Baskets. To properly report the amount of Bushels Pre-crop we produce here at Angel Field Heirloom Tomatoes on our Farming Properties each year to get the needed help from the USDA, Amen!!!!

Old August 27, 2023   #23
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

After Listening to Jeol this morning, I only received one of my Orders for 10 !/4 Buchel Baskets. Not my Large Buchel Baakets. I guess they will come tomorrow. I picked 4 1/4 Buchels of delicious big Green Apples & 2 1/4 Buchels of Figs. Along with 1 1/4 Buchel of Green Zebra Heirloom Tomatoes. I am so proud of myself, Amen!! I will be Learning to relax with this new system to get help for my Growing Farm needs from the USDA.
Old August 28, 2023   #24
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Does the Big Green Dwarf" have a "Sharpe Taste" to it like my Green Zebras Tomato the Late Dr. Carolyn gave me?

I have many Customers who want to grow Dwarf Tomatoes in their home's small garden windows, that teats like Heirloom Tomatoes

I grow a large crop of Green Zebras that is a natural cross making them Heirloom Tomatoes each year because they cook up very well with my Winter Vegetables and baked well with Potato Squash and all Winter Squashes. with any type of meat.

Plus when I travel Far to Yorktown Farmer Market; people love them too, and my Potato Quash. Amen!!
Old August 29, 2023   #25
asmx91
Tomatovillian™

Joyce, yesterday I had a look in my seedbox from our genbank and I found about 20 !
bushtomatoes , I will grow them next year, but in the garden, not in the greenhouses. With me it is too hot. This will get not better!
asmx91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2023   #26
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for growing them out. A lot of my customers want to grow green tomatoes that are shorter than 16 feet with a sharp, Amen!
Old August 29, 2023   #27
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

My farming Research on our Farming Bushel Bracket Systems; shows forth in exciting Legsl Farm History that led to many Acts of Congress.

Finding the Following for me to learn from [Noting; In the United States, first half of the 20ᵗʰ century, Congress defined a number of standard baskets.

In 1916,¹ Congress prescribed dimensions for 2-quart, 4-quart, and 12-quart “Climax baskets” for grapes, other fruits and vegetables and mushrooms, and required that the capacities of any baskets used for berries, small fruits, and so on, be one dry half pint, one dry pint, one dry quart, or multiples of the dry quart. <what about June 11, 1934, c 447, §1, 48 Stat.930?>

In 1928,² they passed a law requiring "hampers and round stave baskets” to contain either 1/8, ½, 5/8, ¾, 1¼, 1½, or 2 bushels, while splint baskets had to contain either 4, 8, 12, 16, 24, or 32 dry quarts. In 1954, 3/8-bushel baskets were added, and in 1964,⁴ 1/16, 7/8, and 1 1/8-bushel baskets, and 11-quart and 14-quart splint baskets.

Finally deciding nothing was gained by regulating basket sizes, Congress repealed all of the above laws in 1968.⁵

1. August 31, 1916, c 426 §1 and 2, 39 Stat. 673.

United States. Congress. House. Committee on Coinage, Weights and Measures.
To Fix the Standards for Berry Baskets: Hearings before the Committee on Coinage, Weights and Measures, House of Representatives, Sixty-fourth Congress, First Session, on H.R. 14945. May 4, 1916.
Washington: U.S.G.P.O., 1916.

United States. Congress. House. Committee on Coinage, Weights and Measures. To Standardize Berry Baskets: Hearings before the Committee on Coinage, Weights and Measures, House of Representatives, Sixty-fourth Congress, First Session, on June 6, 1916.

Besides H.R. 14945, also considered H.R. 16065 and H.R. 16174.

2. May 21, 1928, c. 664, §1, 45 Stat. 685.

3. June 28, 1954, c. 406, §1, 68 Stat. 301.

4. August 30, 1964, Public Law 88-516, §1, 78 Stat. 697.

5. October 22 1968, Public Law 90-628, §1(a) and (b), 82 Stat. 1320.]

I am so happy the Nuns in New Jersey helped me with my dyslexia as a child and got me to believe in myself and want to be a farmer. This New System is not known by Small Poor farmers and female farmers like me who learn farming skills each summer from my Aunt Annie who married into our family from a Native American tribe on the South Carolina & South Carolina border. will be properly researched by me, Amen!!
I also had Law Students to help me too,
Old September 2, 2023   #28
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
My farming Research on our Farming Bushel 'Basket' Systems; shows forth in exciting Legsl Farm History that led to many Acts of Congress.

Finding the Following for me to learn from [Noting; In the United States, first half of the 20ᵗʰ century, Congress defined a number of standard baskets.

In 1916,¹ Congress prescribed dimensions for 2-quart, 4-quart, and 12-quart “Climax baskets” for grapes, other fruits and vegetables and mushrooms, and required that the capacities of any baskets used for berries, small fruits, and so on, be one dry half pint, one dry pint, one dry quart, or multiples of the dry quart. <what about June 11, 1934, c 447, §1, 48 Stat.930?>

In 1928,² they passed a law requiring "hampers and round stave baskets” to contain either 1/8, ½, 5/8, ¾, 1¼, 1½, or 2 bushels, while splint baskets had to contain either 4, 8, 12, 16, 24, or 32 dry quarts. In 1954, 3/8-bushel baskets were added, and in 1964,⁴ 1/16, 7/8, and 1 1/8-bushel baskets, and 11-quart and 14-quart splint baskets.

Finally deciding nothing was gained by regulating basket sizes, Congress repealed all of the above laws in 1968.⁵

1. August 31, 1916, c 426 §1 and 2, 39 Stat. 673.

United States. Congress. House. Committee on Coinage, Weights and Measures.
To Fix the Standards for Berry Baskets: Hearings before the Committee on Coinage, Weights and Measures, House of Representatives, Sixty-fourth Congress, First Session, on H.R. 14945. May 4, 1916.

United States. Congress. House. Committee on Coinage, Weights and Measures. To Standardize Berry Baskets: Hearings before the Committee on Coinage, Weights and Measures, House of Representatives, Sixty-fourth Congress, First Session, on June 6, 1916.

Besides H.R. 14945, also considered H.R. 16065 and H.R. 16174.

2. May 21, 1928, c. 664, §1, 45 Stat. 685.

3. June 28, 1954, c. 406, §1, 68 Stat. 301.

4. August 30, 1964, Public Law 88-516, §1, 78 Stat. 697.

5. October 22 1968, Public Law 90-628, §1(a) and (b), 82 Stat. 1320.]

I am so happy the Nuns in New Jersey helped me with my dyslexia as a child and got me to believe in myself and want to be a farmer. This New System is not known by Small Poor farmers and female farmers like me who learn farming skills each summer from my Aunt Annie who married into our family from a Native American tribe on the South Carolina & South Carolina border. will be properly researched by me, Amen!!
I also had Law Students to help me too,
Continuing my Research on our Farming Bushel 'Basket' Systems For Farmers

I received My Beautiful Bushel Baskets and they are just too Beautiful to display on my Market. As a Farmer and a full-time housewife, I prefer to decorate my house with these Beautiful Baskets, Amen!! But, These Bushel Baskets is an act of Congress to Ensure our Crops meet the guidelines to be calculated properly by the USDA for many Programs. This is exciting to me, and maybe our "Great Country" will get more Farmers in the future if children learn this information in school, Amen!!

My Market is self-service with plastic Basket displays, full of Colors as my historical Heirloom Tomatoes and winter vegetables. I will spend today making a permanent lockdown to display my Bushel Baskets for security. My Bushel Baskets are well-made and just Beautiful. They are Bigger than all my other Baskets. My Pear tree has measured over 4 Bushels Basket and the tree is still full of pears. My New variety of "Heirloom Iris Candy Cherry Tomatoes " came in yesterday as 1 Bushel. These Iris Cherry Tomatoes produce a prolific amount of Cherry Tomatoes every week, growing over 18 feet tall.

Maybe we here at Tomtoville can help with "Oprah and the Rock" helping the Native Farmers of Maui measure their crops to rebuild their farms, Amen!!
Old September 12, 2023   #29
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

I am glad to learn of the Buchel Basket System used by the USDA to measure our Crop year, but it is Hard on the Historical Heirloom Farmers. We do not grow Hybrids, as we preserve Our Naturally Organic Fruits and Vegetables that do not produce all at once. Amen!!

Measuring my products I grow to keep a different set of Bushel system records, has been very hard.

This Bushe Basket System is not helping me meet the demands of My Customers who are asking for Fresh Heirloom Tomatoes. This Bushel Basket System is holding me back from pulling my Large Heirloom Tomatoes until they produce enough for a Bushel for proper Recording of each Crop.

If I mix all varieties of Heirloom Tomatoes together, it would be better to record my Tomato Crop by Bushels; But my customers will not know what type they are buying.

Please tell me how are you Recording your Crops of Heirloom Tomatoes by the "Bushels System".

I need your help, as I grow over 100 different Varieties of Fruits and Vegetables each year., Amen!!!.
Old September 13, 2023   #30
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

Are you saying the USDA told you they will only be able to work with you if you can tell them how many bushels of vegetables and fruits you produce each year? That you have to report your harvest to them in bushels, not in pounds? I can understand them wanting to know how much you produce, but I don't know why they would care what unit of measurement you use. You might want to contact your county extension agent to ask if that's really true.

If they do require you to report in bushels, but it's not easy for you to measure in bushels, there's an easy way around that if you have a scale. There are 53 pounds of regular size/beefsteak/slicing tomatoes in a bushel. So, weigh all your tomatoes as you pick them, keep track of all the totals in a notebook or a spreadsheet, add it all up at the end of the season, and divide the total number of pounds by 53 to get the number of bushels.

If you don't have a scale or don't want to weigh things, get some smaller, standard-size baskets or bags. Peck baskets/bags equal 1/4 bushel. Half-peck equal 1/8 bushel. You can keep your different varieties separate in these smaller containers. Add up the number of pecks and divide by four to get the number of bushels.

Probably there are harvest trays in standard sizes - 1/4 bushel or ten pounds or something like that. Then you could just count the number of harvest trays you fill and convert that to number of bushels. Or really you could use whatever harvest trays or bins you already have. Just weigh one empty, then weigh it full of tomatoes, to figure out how many pounds it holds. Keep track of how many trays you harvest, multiply by the number of pounds in a tray, then divide by 53 to get number of bushels.
VirginiaClay is offline   Reply With Quote