Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old February 13, 2011   #31
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

I found this website very helpful with regard to remineralization:

http://soilminerals.com/

I actually bought the e-book last fall and, while a bit spendy, it contained a lot of useful information and formulas for interpreting soil test results and calculating the correct proportions of minerals.

In any event, I think it's most useful to look at the full range of minerals required for plant growth and the only way to do this is through a soil test. I use Logan Labs (www.loganlabs.com) because they follow the philosophies of Dr. William Albrecht and a base saturation soil testing methodology. Applying something like Azomite isn't going to hurt, but it's the correct balance that's really critical.

One of the key pieces of information that I learned is that when you achieve the correct balance of minerals you don't have to worry about soil PH - it will naturally fall into the "ideal" range for most vegetables. That was a real revelation because 99% of everything you read limits discussion of mineralization to apply lime to raise PH and sulfur to lower PH. When you really drill-down, that's a vast oversimplification.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2011   #32
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

For anybody looking to research sustainable farming methods, the link below will lead you to nearly 100 old publications (free downloads) dealing with soils, fertilizers, crops, etc. Many prominent authors who pioneered organic growing are represented amongst the titles.

Agriculture Library Index
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2011   #33
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Rintintin,

Many thanks!
Old February 13, 2011   #34
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Yes - great link!
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2011   #35
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Much of that stuff could otherwise be found only in a research library.
There's enough reading there to keep us busy a couple of winters.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2011   #36
dustyrivergarden
Tomatovillian™

For the last few years I have been adding rock dust and compost. Compost alone before that. My garden does much better than it ever has. I started with a product out of Utah called Azomite works very well a bit pricey for bigger gardens. So I started to get fine millings from a local quarry an old volcano they grind it up I get it screened to where it looks like sand. Besides my garden doing incredible since adding rock dust I find that the vegetables taste better...lol I also get granite dust from another quarry heck it can cost as little as 10 to 20 dollars a ton if you have a truck and haul it off your self.
dustyrivergarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2011   #37
Marymcp
Tomatovillian™

dustyriver, where in AZ do you get this wonderful stuff? I ordered rock dust on-line a few months ago, 50#'s, and I agree - the plants in my garden are VERY happy.
Marymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2011   #38
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

dust, the better taste that you describe is your tongue receptors that now are tasting the trace minerals. Your food is better nutritionally for you now. Also you should be also having sweeter tasting fruits am I correct?

I am going to look at rock distributors around MA to get some of the dust too. If anybody knows let me know I will let you guys too know when/where I find it. I located a aquaponics store in Northboro, MA that sells Azomite which I'll go to check out this spring as well.
Old December 3, 2011   #39
dustyrivergarden
Tomatovillian™

I get it myself in my pick up truck most cement companys have rockdust fine millings where you can get it in bulk. My nursery that I use is in Star Valley by Payson Az they carry Azomite extremely good product I think 24 bucks a bag but I can get a truck load from a quarry for 20 bucks or less I do use both I live in northern Arizona there are lots of cinder pits is Showlow Flagstaff all will sell you there fine milllings.
dustyrivergarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2011   #40
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The same here, at a local nursery they sell tiny bags of decomposed granite for cacti at $10 a bag.
I can get a cubic yard for around $30.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2011   #41
dustyrivergarden
Tomatovillian™

Lol Oh yea I can get fine milled granite in the Payson area for 20 bucks a ton to. The nursery I use in Star Valley is Plant fair nursery I believe they have a site. www.plantfairnursery.com
Old December 3, 2011   #42
Marymcp
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to both. I'll check around Phoenix for a suitable cement company. Driving The Old Farm truck to Payson would defeat the purpose of saving money on smaller purchases. It's a '78 Ford half-ton.
Old December 3, 2011   #43
dustyrivergarden
Tomatovillian™

Tell the guy you want the fine millings
Old December 3, 2011   #44
Marymcp
Tomatovillian™

okay, thanks....
Old December 3, 2011   #45
OtterJon
Tomatovillian™

I just read this post as Roast Duck, wow..I need to do some waking up.
OtterJon is offline   Reply With Quote