Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old April 7, 2015   #1
lexusnexus
Tomatovillian™

Default New Garden

My neighbor is professional landscaper with all the necessary tools and machines so paid him to install my new garden and deer fence (I still think we should import a pack of wolves to get the exploding deer population under control , but I doubt the neighbors would agree). The first picture is most of my seedlings, mostly maters but some marigolds and Sweet Williams thrown in.

Old April 8, 2015   #2
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

How exciting for you. Very nice pictures, and your plants look good and strong. What variety of marigolds are you planting? I just transplanted a couple tray's of crackerjack and french. When is your plant out date in MD?

Your garden is nicely fenced in. Not sure how tall your fence is, but be aware that once the deer locate your garden they might jump the fence if it is less than eight ft. tall. Sometimes higher. I hope they dont and dont want to burst your bubble, but our deer population is high in our neck of the woods and they have jumped our eight foot fence. We had to install a strong strand of wire an extra foot above that to keep them out..

Thanks for sharing

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #3
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't worry about deer too much in a small fenced in area like that especially after your plants are established. They tend to fear smaller enclosures like that. If it were a larger area, maybe 3-4x that size, you would probably need to go higher with the fencing.
I always plant plenty of other distractions around my yard specifically for the deer. Bulk radish seed is great and pretty cheap if you have some areas that you don't mow, like around wooded borders, hedges, etc. You could even make a special small garden just for them to have munchies. Radishes grow quickly and you can continuously plant (just throw seed on the ground and lightly rake in with a leaf rake) throughout the summer to keep them busy.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #4
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
I wouldn't worry about deer too much in a small fenced in area like that especially after your plants are established. They tend to fear smaller enclosures like that. If it were a larger area, maybe 3-4x that size, you would probably need to go higher with the fencing.
I always plant plenty of other distractions around my yard specifically for the deer. Bulk radish seed is great and pretty cheap if you have some areas that you don't mow, like around wooded borders, hedges, etc. You could even make a special small garden just for them to have munchies. Radishes grow quickly and you can continuously plant (just throw seed on the ground and lightly rake in with a leaf rake) throughout the summer to keep them busy.
I had a small fenced in garden about this size and the deer jumped right on in. It is not impossible. They also knocked part of the fence down.
We are surrounded by plenty of fields with corn, oats, timothy, clover and lots of wildlife shrubs with berries etc..young trees... They still find my fenced garden more appealing and they like my rose bushes which are planted close to the house. Last year we planted 100 poplar seedlings and put small cages around them. The seedlings were planted around the front of our property in our yard and the deer nibbled them down. We own 120 acres and have tons of poplar trees and seedlings, and they still come in our yard to nibble down just about everything we plant . If you plant it they will come. Last week when the weather was nice, I counted over 50 deer across the road in our neighbors field, and just about that many in our two surrounding fields. We have no shortage of deer...
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #5
kath
Tomatovillian™

Your plants and new fence look great, Dan! Seems to be the same type of material our fence is made from- ours encloses an area 60' x 60' and the fence is only 7' high. We have 30+ deer grazing all around it, walking by it daily, even pulling plants through the fence with their tongues in high season but none have jumped over it in the 20 years we've been here.

Hope you have a great season!

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I like it lexusnexus. The way I look at new gardens is, well, a different way I guess. I think of them as not set-in-stone. They can be changed to your needs - Smaller, bigger, taller, shorter - whatever you need to change - you grow with it.

Looks like a nice new garden to me
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote