Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 15, 2016   #61
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Well Sungold and Black Krim RIP. Sungold has been replaced, Black Krim will be tomorrow. Like I said, I knew I had local sources of these. All else looks good, my Blush and Wisconsin 55 got nipped, but may be OK. Wisconsin 55 can be sourced locally, if the Blush goes south I may be SOL. First frost/freeze tomato victims I've had in my life--just glad it wasn't worse.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #62
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry to hear about your plant loss. Yes those two can be replaced in most years. Don't be too eager to get them into the soil though, back to the low 30's we go for the mid-week forecast.
Old May 16, 2016   #63
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I guess it makes sense why this is the first time I've lost plants to cold and usually plant out in mid May. I started gardening for myself a couple years after college (2005).

2016 05/01-05/15 Mean Temp: 52.1F, coldest since 2002.
2016 05/01-05/15 Mean Low Temp: 38.1F, tie 24th coldest (of 148 years of records here).

Coldest low temperature in the period 5/10-5/15 since 1996 here. I usually plant my tomatoes somewhere in that period. This year the soil was nice and warm and the forecast wasn't too bad, but then last week things ended up much cloudier, wetter, and cooler than expected, then this weekend ended up a good 7-8 degrees cooler than what was expected a week earlier.
Old May 16, 2016   #64
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I remember in 1990 (I think) getting dumped with 6-8 inches of snow on 5/21. It was quite local. The people 10 miles away did not get a flake, but it sure did a lot of damage not to just the garden but also the trees because they had leafed out and could not take the weight of the snow on their branches. While most years are OK, there is always the chance here for a late freeze.

I'm sorry that you were nipped in the bud.
Old May 16, 2016   #65
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
I remember in 1990 (I think) getting dumped with 6-8 inches of snow on 5/21. It was quite local. The people 10 miles away did not get a flake, but it sure did a lot of damage not to just the garden but also the trees because they had leafed out and could not take the weight of the snow on their branches. While most years are OK, there is always the chance here for a late freeze.

I'm sorry that you were nipped in the bud.
I remember that vividly! It was May 10 1990. I grew up not far from you in Eagle. I remember not having school because of the power outages due to all the trees coming down. http://www.jsonline.com/greensheet/m...378053881.html
(Why all the pictures in that story in black and white I don't understand. Pretty sure color photography existed in 1990.)
Old May 16, 2016   #66
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Yep, that's the one. What a great memory you have! I seemed to be off by a few days.

Funny thing that I also remember that surprisingly the broccoli, cabbage and onions survived while the cauliflower perished. I had planted a few large trees the week before and it was a good thing that I did not stake them. When the snow hit the trees they just lied down flat on the ground. Had I staked them they would have all broken off.

The Sentinel was experiencing some financial difficulties back then. Perhaps they were trying to save money on the ink.
Old May 16, 2016   #67
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The Wisconsin 55 I planted from seeds I got from you is looking really good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0086.JPG (91.2 KB, 283 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2016   #68
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Great to hear it's doing well for you! I enjoy it, productive with good flavor. I find it produces rather heavily for a couple months and usually tails off quite a bit. I'll be curious to how it likes your Texas heat.
Old May 19, 2016   #69
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Well my 2016 tomato list is now complete. Blush was the only variety I could not replace after freeze damage. I may have made it, but would have been set back enough, I decided to replace it with a dwarf Rosella Purple I had in the cold frame still. Blush will have to wait for 2017 for me.

So here's the list (* means new to me, # needs to be planted still)
Sungold F1
Big Beef F1*
Black Krim
Indigo Cherry Drops*
Green Giant*
dwarf Rosella Purple*
Green Doctors Frosted*
Mexico Midget *#
KBX*
Sunrise Bumblebee*
Thorburn's Terra-Cotta*
Teensy F2 (dwarf)*,some #
Multi-flora micro dwarf (5 plants)*
Zluta Kytice*
Sunsungar F1*
Wisconsin 55
Carbon Copy
Eva Purple Ball*

KBX looks like it is going to be monster sized plant.
Old May 21, 2016   #70
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Well an exciting last minute change up. I found a Blush tomato today to replace my freeze victim!! So it will go into the garden and the dwarf Roselaa Purple will get a new bucket on the deck. Wooooo!
Old May 21, 2016   #71
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Picture taken last night before we picked the kale & collard greens. And before it started raining again.....
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2016   #72
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

A little garden update. Looking like we may have the best broccoli year ever. The lettuce has been coming strong. Of the 5 dwarf multi flora of dfollet's 11xF3 I'm growing one has notably huge inflorescence compared to the other 4. Aji Amarillo and Serranos have baby peppers and the tomatoes have recovered from the cold nicely, should have a decent amount of plants with flowers open by the weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (427.9 KB, 208 views)
Old May 24, 2016   #73
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Just over 2# of radishes from the garden! Tasty stuff!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (165.0 KB, 190 views)
Old May 24, 2016   #74
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Here's a sort of different idea for a few of those radishes - grate up a few for cole slaw. It adds a little bite to it.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2016   #75
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Here's a sort of different idea for a few of those radishes - grate up a few for cole slaw. It adds a little bite to it.
That would be good. I haven't made coleslaw in quite some time, I should put a batch together. I'm more a fan of the vinegar based opposed to the mayo based, but I'm in the minority here in Wisconsin.