Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old September 20, 2013   #16
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i have grown garlic in a bed for years. it is 4-5' wide and 12-16' long. i plant 6" on center.

i came to the conclusion that 6" on center is too close tho my results have been good to great every year but last year the results were much smaller bulbs than i ever saw. no idea why so i bought new stock and decided to plant 2 beds 5' wide 12' long 8" on center. i put 108 cloves into each bed, 6 wide 18 long. i lost a few and a few didn't grow but i got about 210-214 bulbs.

this is for one person, i don't give any away and i eat a lot of garlic. i found that before they start to age, just before the green shoot starts to form and definitely before the outer clove wrapper starts to shrink from the clove starting to dry out, i break all the cloves off the bulbs and freeze them. i waited a bit longer than i think i should have waited to freeze them yet they were good but the texture is definitely different. this year i will freeze them sooner and i expect that freezing when the flavor is still good they'll still have that flavor.

i used to try to keep them as long as possible but with so many they are sprouting and drying out as they aged. i never considered freezing them until i talked to tom_nj who freezes his garlic in the fall. so this year before any signs of aging start, in mid to late december all the rocamboles are going to be frozen. by mid to late january all the procelains will be frozen. this way i'll have good garlic up to the next harvest. i have not bought garlic in the store since 2004 or 2005.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2013   #17
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Planting Garlic for 2014 harvest.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?LWDDZ 4 October 2013 Planting Garlic
Four rows of garlic was planted. One row of bulbils saved from 2013 crop. Planted at five inch spacing. One row (48) of Music purchased in Stratford at the garlic festival. One and one half rows (72) of my own porcelain garlic saved from 2013 crop. One bulb (13) of supermarket soft neck from the Supermarket.Spacing in the row was six inches and the bottom of the clove was about two inches buried. The pointed top was covered with about an inch of soil. The clove was pressed down to make good soil contact.The rows were heavily mulched to retain moisture.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote