Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 8, 2015   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Cross Country Cucumbers

http://www.durgan.org/2015/July%2020...ucumbers/HTML/ 8 July 2015 Cross Country Cucumbers
Cucumbers have stated to produce. Cross country is excellent for juicing and slicing, and pickling. The hybrid is most prolific.The female flower emerges with a small cuke attached and the male without. It is possible to pollinate with a small paint brush. If the female is not pollinated then the cuke dies and falls off. With the shortage of bees in my garden I contemplated hand pollination, but apparently not necessary now, since fruit is forming.

Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2015   #2
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for posting your photo--that looks like it'd make a great pickle as well
as fresh cucumber salad. I'll have to look for them!
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2015   #3
JoParrott

Kinda looks like General Lee, which is one of my favorites- very crunchy and tasty. It is very "spiny" but well worth the trouble!
Old July 8, 2015   #4
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Durgan, I thought the name sounded awfully familiar; I checked and found that
I had them---from Fedco Seeds-a really nice company that carries many heirlooms as well as hybrids. I'm about to plant some picklers--can't wait to try them!

Jo--I've seen General Lee in catalogs and have been tempted. What size cucumber do they produce? I've always had the impression they were a long,
regular type cucumber; Sweet Success is a strong favorite here-I've often wondered how General Lee would compare to it.
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2015   #5
JoParrott

greyghost, Gen.Lee is pretty much all purpose- I don't like big seeds in cukes, so I start picking them really small. They are about the crunchiest I have grown. I like Sweet Success too, and Summer Dance is a great long thin one- with good taste. Most Asian types are way too watery and bland for me. County Fair is also good, as well as Sweet Success. I didn't like Diva- too watery textured.
I forgot Armenian (which isn't a true cucumber) which I dearly love- it is beautiful, no peeling, NO BURPS because it is technically a squash. I have convinced many people who said they can't eat cucumbers that they CAN eat these! Love them thinly sliced with seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar.

Last edited by JoParrott; July 8, 2015 at 04:50 PM. Reason: I forgot one!
Old July 8, 2015   #6
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Armenians with rice vinegar. One of my favorite snacks!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote