Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old June 15, 2007   #31
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Actually when done in the marmalade form, the beets don't taste like "beets"....says she who normally bypasses beats with a 30 foot pole!! During the war years in the UK, beets were grown as a sugar source crop. So there are many recipes that date from that era or before when sugar was either scarce or too expensive. I've added other things to the onion and beet marmalade like raisins and currants, but that turns into more "chutney-like" condiment. You can also add some chopped tart apples, mangoes or pears with it. And if I didn't know for sure that there were BEETS in the marmalade, I'd swear it didn't taste like there were.

But you'll never know if you don't try it. LOL. House rules around here are unless allergic to something, try it once. If you don't like it, you'll never know if you truly do or don't like it. And believe it, it was funny listening to my niece who was about 5 at the time tell some finicky teenagers the house rule ~ basically shaming them into trying something. And the best part is that they liked it! LMAO.

But hey, don't shoot the "messenger"....lol....these were only some suggestions.

And does this mean you don't want any more onion recipes?....lol
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2007   #32
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Onions store beautifully - just braid the tops and hand them in a cool, dry place. Or chop a ton of them, throw them in ziplock baggies and heave them at the freezer to save time & tears later.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2007   #33
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

A lot of these recipes sound really good. I like creamed onions but my I'm the only person in this house who really likes onions so I never make them. I should because I'm the only person who eats okra or beets or radishes or cucumbers or sweet potatoes or chard or even a whole tomato here, and I still grow and/or cook all those things for myself.
Old June 15, 2007   #34
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Michele...You are too funny...I was just noticing that about 80 % of the garden is stuff I alone eat too....I guess I figure the kids will eventually join in or go hungry, and my husband must not have been brought up wrong.....

My onions stored last year for months...I just cured them well in the shade and filled burlap bags up...Ate the last after the New Year and unfortunately ran out...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2007   #35
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Jeanne, when my husband and I started dating, he told me he would not eat peppers or onions. This make it difficult to share a pizza. Anyway, I got fed up trying to cook without peppers and onions and now if he sees something that looks like a red pepper in a dish, he asks if it's a pepper and I tell him no, it's a pimento. Same goes for onions, no, that's a scallion. He seems satisfied with those answers so he eats it and still assumes he's not eating peppers or onions. My husband is pretty smart about a lot of things, but the vegetable group is not one of them.