Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old July 7, 2007   #1
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Default Garlic can't be transplanted, eh?

Some said garlic won't transplant, but I've proven differently. I dug up several clumps of green garlic on 3-28-2007 and transplanted it, 72 plants I think it was. I dug up a few heads to check them. Not huge heads, only 1 3/4" but they'll do fine.

Click for Larger Size

Click for Larger Size
Old July 8, 2007   #2
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Dumb question, I bet, but is there a noticeable difference in taste between the best store-bought garlic and homegrown?

I discern as much even with eggplants...

Grub, who hasn't grown garlic but loves the look of the above spread.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2007   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Do you need a recipe for Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2007   #4
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Feldon, sure do, and one for 40 kinds of tomatoes in about 2-3 weeks. :-)
Old July 10, 2007   #5
tessa
Tomatovillian™

grub...i grow garlic. IMO, there is a huge difference between store bought and self-grown. my garlics are juicy, and very strongly flavoured. in fact, six months after harvest...they were still juicy! sure makes you wonder how old the garlic in the store is.
garlic are a winter crop here...and i think that tomato plants like growing near garlic. if that's true...then you could be putting all your tomato pots to good use in the down season.
tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2007   #6
tessa
Tomatovillian™

from this site on companion planting:

http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html

TOMATOES: Tomato allies are many: asparagus, basil, bean, carrots, celery, chive, cucumber, garlic, head lettuce, marigold, mint, nasturtium, onion, parsley, pepper, marigold, pot marigold and sow thistle. Basil repels flies and mosquitoes, improves growth and flavor. Bee balm, chives and mint improve health and flavor. Borage deters tomato worm, improves growth and flavor. Dill, until mature, improves growth and health, mature dill retards tomato growth. Enemies: corn and tomato are attacked by the same worm. Kohlrabi stunts tomato growth. Keep potatoes and tomatoes apart as they both can get early and late blight contaminating each other. Keep cabbage and cauliflower away from them. Don't plant them under walnut trees as they will get walnut wilt, is a disease of tomatoes growing underneath walnut trees.

GARLIC: Plant near roses to repel aphids. Accumulates sulfur: a naturally occurring fungicide which will help in the garden with disease prevention. Garlic is systemic in action as it is taken up the plants through their pores and when used as a soil drench is also taken up by the roots. Has value in offending codling moths, Japanese beetles, root maggots, snails, and carrot root fly. Researchers have observed that time-released garlic capsules planted at the bases of fruit trees actually kept deer away! Hey, worth a try! Concentrated garlic sprays have been observed to repel and kill whiteflies, aphids and fungus gnats among others with as little as a 6-8% concentration! It is safe for use on orchids too.
tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2007   #7
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic (PDF)
Photos courtesy CooksIllustrated.com.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic.pdf (35.1 KB, 16 views)

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2007   #8
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Gee I am surprised by this.

I did not comment about this but I would not have thought garlic would transplant well.

FYI, based upon your photo, those bulbs would have gotten bigger. The time to dig them is when the bottom 1/2 of the plant's leaves turn yellow/brown and are drying up, yours are still dark green. If the lower 1/2 of my plants looked like the bottom set of leaves on my plants, I'd be digging now. I think I need to wait at least another week, maybe 10-14 days.

What variety did you grow?
Tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2007   #9
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Tom, my garlic has no name. Some of what I'm growing was taken from a clump already here when I moved in. The other is from a friend who was given some by a French lady he said about 20 or so years ago. Some is rocambole [not many large bulbils], some porcelain [many bulbils and small sized].