Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old October 16, 2015   #1
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Default Spanish variety tomato seeds?

Does anybody know of a good commercial source of Spanish variety tomato seeds? My searches in Spanish have only come up with sites which sell a very limited selection.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2015   #2
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

cursory search in spanish led to syngenta, hazera and fito, which you've already found since you say "limited selection." Ilex and Baikal are probably your best bets, PM them and I'm sure they can steer you in the right direction.

Are there particular varieties you're searching for?
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2015   #3
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
cursory search in spanish led to syngenta, hazera and fito, which you've already found since you say "limited selection." Ilex and Baikal are probably your best bets, PM them and I'm sure they can steer you in the right direction.

Are there particular varieties you're searching for?
Hi Gerardo. Right now I'm looking for commercial sources for Rosa de Somantano and Rosa de Huesca.

Steve
Old October 16, 2015   #4
ilex
Tomatovillian™

As you probably know, EU seed laws are ... I'm getting angry.

It is illegal to sell any variety not in the official EU list, so anything not commercial is not available. The only way to get them is trading, knowing who grows them, or by seed saving associations and a couple tiny companies. Those have a very small selection in general. Most of the probable 3-5000 varieties are just in the middle of nowere.

I'll get you seed of those 2. Note I am slow.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2015   #5
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

I've learned a lot about the varieties, but not much else. They're doing a great job promoting the region and it has a decent internet footprint. Other than a few swaps from infojardin, there appear to be scant souces. Sleuthing has failed.

This one has interesting tidbits. It recommends the creation of a society/council/association to standardize and control seed production for--from their inclusive wording--, all pink varieties associated with the region (DO). I imagine the next step is limiting distribution, which isn't explicitly stated, but implied.

http://forosomontano.es/index.php?op...stro&Itemid=15
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2015   #6
ilex
Tomatovillian™

That one is sold all over Spain, which is the reason for being so famous. It's one of the few old traditional varieties that started to be sold all over in the last few years.

And yes, they'll probably make it a brand, and some kind of geographic protection so it can only be produced within a limited region and sold under the "Rosa de Barbastro" brand. The creation of an entity that controls the seed is just another tweak.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2015   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilex View Post

It is illegal to sell any variety not in the official EU list, so anything not commercial is not available. The only way to get them is trading, knowing who grows them, or by seed saving associations and a couple tiny companies. Those have a very small selection in general. Most of the probable 3-5000 varieties are just in the middle of nowere.

And I'll add the following.

I knew who Ilex was from previous posts here at Tville and lately with his posting a lot in the thread Valdimir from The Czech Republic started about his project with Spanish varieties.So I'm looking in my 2015 SSE Yearbook and find that someone in Spain is listing about 70 plus varieties.

So I rush to Tville and post about my find and Ilex answers and says,yes that's me. I could not stop laughing.

Only SSE members can make requests from the SSE Yearbooks, the person doing the listing sets the request price/pack, so of course I e-mailed Ilex and discussed what I was looking for, and it's all good.

Carolyn
Old October 17, 2015   #8
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilex View Post

Thanks for your help Ilex! I'll PM you.

It's too bad Spanish varieties aren't more widely available. After following Vladimir's thread, I'm sure there are some really good ones.

Steve
Old October 17, 2015   #9
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
I've learned a lot about the varieties, but not much else. They're doing a great job promoting the region and it has a decent internet footprint. Other than a few swaps from infojardin, there appear to be scant souces. Sleuthing has failed.

This one has interesting tidbits. It recommends the creation of a society/council/association to standardize and control seed production for--from their inclusive wording--, all pink varieties associated with the region (DO). I imagine the next step is limiting distribution, which isn't explicitly stated, but implied.

http://forosomontano.es/index.php?op...stro&Itemid=15
Gerardo, your results are the same as mine. There are surprisingly few gardening seeds available generally, and almost no Spanish tomato seeds. Strange!

Steve
Old October 17, 2015   #10
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Rosa de Huesca neither Rosa de Somontano not a commercial variety. they are not in the catalog of the varieties permitted to sell in the EU. You probably will not find a commercial company that would sell the seeds of these varieties. There are only about ten Spanish OP varieties of tomatoes, which are in this catalog, and are also sold (for example Montserrat, Muchamiel, San Pedro, Tres Cantos, ...).
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote