Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old February 5, 2014   #16
Hermitian
BANNED

Both products (Rick's and Great White) are targeted at pot growers who are willing to pay top dollar for anything that is deemed a silver bullet.
Old February 5, 2014   #17
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
Thank you for the responses.

And just to be clear, while I agree with all the comments on how it's marketed/pitched, I was never assuming the product worked based on the content of Rick's site. Rather I had spoken with users who claimed to have had better success with it than Great White, so I thought I would see if anyone here has used it.
After all, there are some products which have a similarly 'slick' marketing feel and actually do work well. Anyone have the new Shark vacuums? They are awesome
Someone's anecdotal claims of the results of Rick's Monster Grow vs. Great White or any other mycorrhizal/trichoderma/bacterial innoculant (I'm assuming that is what Rick's Monster Grow actually is from the pitch) isn't enough to convince me pay an exorbitant price of $60.00 for something that he claims will treat 120 plants. A 1oz. package of MycoGrow Soluable can treat 120 plants for less than $10.00 and they tell you what the ingredients are unlike Rick's
So what's the magical snake oil that is in Rick's Monster Grow that some will pay so much more for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
Both products (Rick's and Great White) are targeted at pot growers who are willing to pay top dollar for anything that is deemed a silver bullet.
Can't argue that some people will pay very high prices for stuff to grow their high value cash crops, but there are dozens of biological inoculants on the market targeted toward farmers, veggie gardeners, flower gardeners also. Plants are plants, there is no measurable difference between what microbes benefit pot plants or tomato plants.
I wouldn't put Great White in the same category of high priced inoculants as Rick's. When you consider the concentration of species and spores in Great White, it's very comparable in value to other good inoculants on the market. You can get 1oz of Great White for around $13.00, that's a far cry from $60.00 for Rick's whatever is in it and however much you get concoction.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote