Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old March 20, 2009   #1
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Default New at starting basil & parsley

Any tips/advice for starting basil & parsley (both curly & Italian flat). I have Genovese, an Italian purple & a mouse-eared basil.
Any advice is most appreciated. The basil plants I bought last year did super well - we're still eating off them (I blended the leaves with olive oil & froze)! This will be my first time growing them. I have read to expect <60% germination - anything affect this?
Same ? about the parsley - parsley is a really slow germinator, right? As in, like, how long? Thanks in advance folks.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2009   #2
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Basil is very easy to grow, and I got well over 90% germination with 4 yr old seed this year...
Parsley can be a lesson in patience...The parsley I have growing now, took nearly 3 weeks to germinate...I also soaked the seeds 12 hours before sowing...I get much poorer germination from parsley, but I am often using pretty old seed too...I did not use bottom heat on either basil or parsley this year, as my peppers were taking priority at the time...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2009   #3
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Jeanne - would you use bottom heat if you had the space? I am so thrilled with my electric blanket with gi-normous clear plastic bag enclosing my flats this year!
Anything special about soaking the parsley seed? Does it float? Get slimy?
Old March 20, 2009   #4
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Stormy ---

PM you.

~* Robin
Old March 29, 2009   #5
dew
Tomatovillian™

I have Genovese basil sprouted already - I just bought a package of basilico greco - do I treat it the same as other basils, to get it germinated?
The leaves are very different...
dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2009   #6
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Dew-no difference in germinating any basil.
Old March 29, 2009   #7
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I have found that soaking and bottom heat, just like for peppers REALLY speeds up parsley germination. Now this part is a pain-in-the-butt but if you "score" the individual seeds with an emery board (Just rub a spot on them to skiff the coating) you will get much better germination, but it is tedious filing on all of the seeds! I persoanlly have a large patch of parsley and I always let about a third of it re-seed and it comes back just fine (I do grab the tops where seeds are and kind of rub the heads between my hands at the end of the year.)
Old March 29, 2009   #8
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormymater View Post
Thanks Jeanne - would you use bottom heat if you had the space? I am so thrilled with my electric blanket with gi-normous clear plastic bag enclosing my flats this year!
Anything special about soaking the parsley seed? Does it float? Get slimy?
I am glad to hear that your gynormous seed starting mat is working well. I know...we will be harangued for doing it but it has worked for me for 20 years and you can get a lot of flats germinated very quickly!
Old March 30, 2009   #9
eddie46
Tomatovillian™

Put the parsley in the freezer for a day or so before planting.

Ed
eddie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2009   #10
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

parsley! yeah it is slow to germinate, if fact i start my parsley for this spring in october of the prior year and i get them to germinate in a timely fashion.

okay that's stretching the truth but it is a tough one to germinate. keep it damp.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2009   #11
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

OK - basil (3 kinds!) is up & looking like little chia pet carpets in the cells! The purple ones (middle 6 cells) are turning purple! The mouse eared little ball basil did not germinate as well as the purple or the Genovese but that's ok - I think there will be plenty - If not I'll sow again!
The parsley is planted after a 24hourish soak in a cup of water with a tablespoon of H2O2. Let the cup sit on the heating pad. Sowed the seed thickly in a flat, watered well & put in the plastic bag on the heat source. Did add 1 six pack of marigolds to the tray - reckon they'll be up quick.... unlike the parsley.... once the parsley is up I reckon I'll be about done with the electric blanket until next year. My goodness this has been fun!
Tomorrow I pot up my tomato seedlings!
Old March 30, 2009   #12
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, you tell 'em stormy! That Parsley needs to get stomped on! (old Italian wives tale)

And you know that the old Italian wives tale said that a maiden should never pick it; lest she wind up being an "Old Maid" (Spinster/Unmarried) herself! It should be planted by a married woman or the head of the household (meaning her husband or father.) LOL!

~* Robin
Old March 30, 2009   #13
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Pony's been outta the barn here for several decades now LOL!
Old March 30, 2009   #14
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Man, I'm so stiff - moved 7 - 8 cubic yards of topsoil blend into the new raised beds today - began to get stiff when DH joined me after his work was done - a cool wind kicked in & now, BLAMMO, I can hardly shuffle into the kitchen & back to living room. First a leftover coffe with Frangelica then supper, then a gram of good old aspirin (& a hot shower before bed). We have one more bed to build & fill - have 4 - 5 more yards of topsoil blend. Oooowwww!
DH thought I was nuts tossing the alfala cubes in after the first 10 inches was in the beds... he stopped talking when I started flinging the molasses solids. I think the earthworms are gonna dig these beds!
Old April 8, 2009   #15
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Parsley is up! Thin, hair-like moved out into the sun & wind today! Basils are already putting out their second leaves!
Time to turn off, shake out & pack up heating blanket until next year! Will be packing up lights too. I reckon Zinnias can be started in trays under plastic out side.
Thank you all for such generous & effective advice this year!