Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old January 28, 2012   #1
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Default Mycorrhizae FAQ's

This addresses a lot of questions I've seen asked before in different threads. Ami

http://www.agbio-inc.com/mycorrhizae-faq.html

http://www.ibiblio.org/london/orgfar...fungi-faq.html
Old October 9, 2012   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Default Making the Most of Microbes

Here's a good article by Amaranthus, Simpson and Lowenfels on soil microbes including Mycorrhizae.

http://www.mycorrhizae.com/wp-conten...anthusetal.pdf
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2013   #3
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Ami - I liked the AgBio article best as it explains everything in simplest form that everyone can understand.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013   #4
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Default The aphids are coming! The aphids are coming!

Mycorrhizae act as a interplant communications network and spread the news when the enemy attacks.

Fungus network 'plays role in plant communication'
Old May 12, 2013   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

How do you think mycorrhizae relate to damping off? Or do they at all?
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013   #6
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
How do you think mycorrhizae relate to damping off? Or do they at all?
There are a bunch of studies that have been done on that. Just do a Google search for "mycorrhizae damping off"
What I gather from the evidence is that there is some relation between mycorrhizae and damping off pathogens like Pythium and rhizoctonia but the control of the pathogens is magnified greatly when Trichoderma and beneficial bacteria are also present in the root zone.
Old May 12, 2013   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I tossed a seedling just now that had it. I looked at the roots, and I couldn't see any of the white fuzz that is on the roots of my healthy plants.
Old May 13, 2013   #8
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

I liked the idea and tried several products with this added and had nothing but issues with rot and disease. Could have been purely coincidence and unrelated but its the first time I've had issues with seedlings in years, so I don't use it anymore and am back to my tried and true method of adding a wee bit of compost to the mix.

Stacy
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013   #9
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Stacy, did this happen to be one of them?

http://www.menards.com/main/outdoors...88-c-10116.htm

I used the same product last year and had no damping off at all. I think the difference this year is the cold, wet weather. Even though I grow in a greenhouse, it still gets down to nearly equal the outside temp at night.
Old May 13, 2013   #10
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I tossed a seedling just now that had it. I looked at the roots, and I couldn't see any of the white fuzz that is on the roots of my healthy plants.
The stripping off of root hairs would be a symptom of damping off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bughunter99 View Post
I liked the idea and tried several products with this added and had nothing but issues with rot and disease. Could have been purely coincidence and unrelated but its the first time I've had issues with seedlings in years, so I don't use it anymore and am back to my tried and true method of adding a wee bit of compost to the mix.

Stacy
I don't know what products you used but I've not had any signs of damping off when using innoculants. The only time I did get damping off in the past is when I used a supposed sterile seed starting mix. I'm not a believer in the sterile seed starting method because without natural biological defenses in the soil all it takes is pythium or rhizoctonia to find their way in and have a free for all.
By adding a good quality compost to your mix you are inoculating with bacteria and fungi, so any biologically active thing like compost, worm castings or AACT can be very beneficial for disease prevention as well as growth promotion. Diversity is the key I think, the more variety of good guys you have, the better the overall results.
From my experiment with a diatomite + organics seed starting mix this year here and here, you can see that just the addition of 10% worm castings to the mix produced greater top growth. Otherwise all the plants were all healthy in both mixes, and root structure was the same as I saw when potting up. I left mycorrhizae out of the seed starting mix since I start that at the potting up stage and then again at transplant.
Old May 21, 2013   #11
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Here's a couple YouTube videos from NoTillFarmer Magazine that explain some interesting facts about Mycorrhizae and growing crops.

Value of Mycorrhizae

Mycorrhizal Applications: Working With Cover Crops
Old July 12, 2013   #12
Siberian
Tomatovillian™

Here's a question that I've not seen addressed before.

In the past I have done a version of a dip solution used when planting out that I apply immediately before planting the seedlings into their permanent homes in the ground. Would it offer any additional benefit if I applied this solution earlier (say about a week or so before planting out) to allow the mycos and other microbes to fully cultivate the plant roots before going into the ground?
Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2013   #13
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post

In the past I have done a version of a dip solution used when planting out that I apply immediately before planting the seedlings into their permanent homes in the ground. Would it offer any additional benefit if I applied this solution earlier (say about a week or so before planting out) to allow the mycos and other microbes to fully cultivate the plant roots before going into the ground?
I have not compared the two, BUT that is very similar to what I do.

I start seeds in sterile soil-less seed starting mix similar to what nctomatoman teaches, when I transplant to individual pots I inoculate. Then when I transplant those into the final bed, I inoculate again by using the "mudding them in" method with water that has various organic ferts and inoculants. Then generally I never have to fertilize again. In a new bed that isn't very fertile yet, I may do 1 or 2 very light ferts later once the tomatoes start fruiting. It's a judgement call at that point.

PS Thanks nctomatoman! You really saved me a lot of time effort and materials with your vid. I had done various similar things in the past, but your method really rocks for trying many varieties at once! So organised!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; July 12, 2013 at 12:04 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2013   #14
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post

You can start inoculating sooner than that. I start the full myco's, trichoderma and beneficial bacteria inoculation at the potting up stage and then again at transplant time. This year I also inoculated with BiotaMax and worm castings at seed starting, both for suppression of any possible damping off pathogens and for the plant growth promotion benefits of the microorganisms.
Old July 13, 2013   #15
Siberian
Tomatovillian™

How did the BiotaMax inoculation at seed starting work out for you Ray? Any difference from your results previous years sans the BM?

I've used chamomile tea with good success in damping off prevention. I'm sure not nearly as beneficial as BM in regards to synergies, but it has worked for prevention.
Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote