Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old July 28, 2015   #1
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Serengeti French Filet Bean

The beans are coming in. My first pickings! I picked a large colander of Serengeti French Filet Beans . More on the vines/bush growing. This is a early maturing variety with some pretty good yields so far. The beans are pencil thin, with long straight pods. I picked them when they reached close to five or six inches. The plants are only about 14-17 inches high, but strong and hardy. The beans are very tender when lightly steamed for just a few minutes. Extremely tasty raw also.
This is my first year growing this variety, and I will definitely it grow again. My husband and I loved them!!

Ginny

Last edited by barefootgardener; July 28, 2015 at 05:11 PM.
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2015   #2
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

I lightly steamed the beans for a few minutes. Fried up some bacon, crumbled it , then I saute'd some garlic in butter and grapeseed oil. Let the flavors infuse a bit, then added the crumbled bacon. Drizzled the mixture over the beans coating them. It was yummy. The husband and kids loved it !! Win.. Win !! I served the dish with BLT's of course! This picture stretched out a bit when I tried to edit!! lol

Last edited by barefootgardener; July 28, 2015 at 05:12 PM.
Old August 12, 2015   #3
yardn_gardn
Tomatovillian™

Location: Central Idaho at 3200 elev. in zone 5b, maybe 100 frost free days

Your bacon and bean dish looks fabulous. How is Serengeti yielding now that it's later in the summer?
Old August 12, 2015   #4
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

OOh, that bacon dish looks scrumptious! I am growing Serengeti for the first time this year too! Have the first picking frozen, and it's time for the 2nd picking tomorrow.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2015   #5
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardn_gardn View Post
Your bacon and bean dish looks fabulous. How is Serengeti yielding now that it's later in the summer?
Hi, Thank you.
I have been picking a lot of SB all summer, but they are slowing down now. I will likely get one more small picking out of them, then it will be sporadic at best.
The bean plants still look nice and green..

Ginny
Old August 12, 2015   #6
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
OOh, that bacon dish looks scrumptious! I am growing Serengeti for the first time this year too! Have the first picking frozen, and it's time for the 2nd picking tomorrow.
Dee, the Serengeti beans are really good lightly steamed. Have you cooked some up yet? I froze mine also. I will be planting this bean next season. Hubby loves it..

Ginny
Old August 12, 2015   #7
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Actually, I've just been freezing them! My first ripe beans were Fortex (pole beans) and we've been using them for most meals because they are easy to spot and gather for a small meal - no bending over. I am also growing Slenderette and Nickel - which is a really small baby bean. I think we did have one meal of Slenderette, but most of the bush beans all went directly into the freezer. But there is nothing like fresh beans from your own garden. I still am waiting on the pole version of Roma which is just flowering and setting tiny pods. And my Chinese Red Noodle Beans have not even flowered yet. They are always late and more fussy. I think I overdid the beans this year. Last year I was not very good about picking when they were prime, and as a result, I ran out of frozen beans very early. I know I over compensated planting this summer, and won't be able to use them all. Hope the neighbors will take some.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote