Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 14, 2015   #1
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Default Worst Germinator

The winner was clear by far this year as no pepper seed gave me much issue. I planted Jalapeños (2 types), Ancho, Cayenne, Leutschauer Paprika, Habanero, Anaheim, Serrano Tampequino, Bell, Red Popper and Cubanelle.

I wanted 8 Cubanelle plants for my garden and I finally was able to get them, but I went through 4 separate attempts and about 30 seeds. Finally a few days ago the eight plant sprouted. 6 and 7 sprouted last week. 1-5 I have had for about 6-8 weeks and discovered I was short after sorting through all of the plants for a garden count. I am hoping for a warm September to get my harvest.
No other pepper came close to this poor germination rate and I couldn't pick a second place if I had too.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #2
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Do you use a heat mat? I finally broke down and bought one several years ago and it's made all the difference in the world. However, I can't for the life of me get any of the pubescens to germinate.

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #3
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

I germinate with paver blocks as spacers on top of my ceramic heater units. Temperature inside the covered jiffy trays fluctuated between 75-80F when the units are storing or off-peak. 80-85F when on-peak and active. Worked great for all the other peppers and tomato types.
Old June 14, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
I germinate with paver blocks as spacers on top of my ceramic heater units. Temperature inside the covered jiffy trays fluctuated between 75-80F when the units are storing or off-peak. 80-85F when on-peak and active. Worked great for all the other peppers and tomato types.
I dont see anything wrong with those temps considering I can get 5 year old pepper seed to sprout in the ground outside.
These pepper seeds were stored in a cabinet inside the peppers by the stove.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #5
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I tried to germinate 10 Cubanelle seeds last year. I got one plant. We must have got the same batch of crappy seed.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #6
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Two years ago myself and many on the forum had a hard time germinating peppers. There was little sun in late winter, or something unknown was at play. Last year and this year went well. I started too many just in case it was one of those off years.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #7
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
I tried to germinate 10 Cubanelle seeds last year. I got one plant. We must have got the same batch of crappy seed.
I guess I'll blame the seed too because my methods worked great on everything else and from what I've read Cubanelles aren't any different from others. I even had Habaneros sprout within days and they can generally be the hold outs.
If Cubanelles are different from others, I would appreciate any information... I'm here to learn as well.
Old June 15, 2015   #8
4season
Tomatovillian™

Ihave problems with yellow hot peppers, usually give up and buy from a nursery. About 6 of 120 sprouted on damp paper toweling in a ziplock bag this year. When put into potting soil they all gave up. No problems with other peppers.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #9
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
Do you use a heat mat? I finally broke down and bought one several years ago and it's made all the difference in the world. However, I can't for the life of me get any of the pubescens to germinate.
I really wanted to grow Rocoto peppers because I love the purple bloom. I bought my seeds from NMSU's Chile Pepper Institute so I think they should have been quality seeds. Out of 25 seeds I only ended up with 8 plants. Some of those plants are almost 5 feet tall and have quiet a few peppers. I am anxious to see how my own seeds will germinate if they ever get ripe. I have never seen peppers take so long to change color.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #10
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
I really wanted to grow Rocoto peppers because I love the purple bloom. I bought my seeds from NMSU's Chile Pepper Institute so I think they should have been quality seeds. Out of 25 seeds I only ended up with 8 plants. Some of those plants are almost 5 feet tall and have quiet a few peppers. I am anxious to see how my own seeds will germinate if they ever get ripe. I have never seen peppers take so long to change color.
Wow, is this their first year? If I could ever get a few established I'd consider marketing them. I understand after a couple of years they produce a heck of a lot of fruit. They are going for $7.99/lb. here, if you can find them.

The closest I've gotten is my avatar!

Keep us posted

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

-André Gide
Old June 15, 2015   #11
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Everything I read said this was one of the more difficult peppers to grow but I love a challenge. I actually planted this last fall, kept them in 1 gallon pots to overwinter and then planted all but 2 in 15 gallon pots. Those two are in 5 gallons so I can move them in on the few freezes we have.

Since their normal climate is so different from Florida I thought if I could get them mature before summer they might be able to handle the heat. I put them where they get morning sun and afternoon shade. I did move the two small pots where there are getting more sun to see if that would help the peppers ripen. These pictures were from last month so they are taller now.

Other than the fact that I have no ripe peppers I think it has been a successful experiment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150517_190539.jpg (49.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 20150517_190259.jpg (28.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 13185_10206768617477856_3468538123372844833_n.jpg (30.5 KB, 68 views)
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #12
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
Everything I read said this was one of the more difficult peppers to grow but I love a challenge. I actually planted this last fall, kept them in 1 gallon pots to overwinter and then planted all but 2 in 15 gallon pots. Those two are in 5 gallons so I can move them in on the few freezes we have.

Since their normal climate is so different from Florida I thought if I could get them mature before summer they might be able to handle the heat. I put them where they get morning sun and afternoon shade. I did move the two small pots where there are getting more sun to see if that would help the peppers ripen. These pictures were from last month so they are taller now.

Other than the fact that I have no ripe peppers I think it has been a successful experiment.
Beautiful!

-John Muir

-André Gide
Old June 15, 2015   #13
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

The one season I was able to harvest any rocotos was when I started them indoors in December(in Wisconsin). I kept them in gallon pots and got several pods off of the plants at the end of the growing season. Problem was I could never get them to over winter in our apartment without dying...it was just too warm for them to go dormant and there was not enough light to treat them as houseplants for the winter. They are so worth the trouble if you can get them to grow...really yummy! I haven't tried them here in the PNW yet. I do have a well lit room off of the garage I'll be able to use for over wintering though if I do get some growing.

Another plus for rocotos is that deer don't like the fuzzy leaves and won't bother them after the first sampling of leaf.

Last edited by noinwi; June 15, 2015 at 08:01 PM. Reason: more
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #14
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

I think maybe we're straying off topic from the OP. Maybe start a rocoto/C.pubescens thread?

-John Muir

-André Gide