Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old September 10, 2018   #7546
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
I've never heard of "toad in a hole" either. Before Imp answers, I will guess cutting a hole in a slice of toast with a biscuit cutter and cooking an egg in the hole in a fry pan. I've eaten that a lot as a kid, but I can't remember any name for it.

Yep and cook the circle in te fry pan for the cap partly over the "toad"!!

In the UK, I think there is a dish with sausages and yorkshire pudding called toad in the hole, too.
Old September 10, 2018   #7547
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
We always called that a nest egg.

Mom called it "nest eggs" when she baked the eggs in the hashbrowns.
Old September 10, 2018   #7548
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Mom called it "nest eggs" when she baked the eggs in the hashbrowns.

The "nest eggs" sound good. Probably need to cook the hash browns almost done before cracking an egg over them.

Our son did an egg dish when he was visiting recently which tasted great. He cracked an egg into a non stick pan and started cooking it slowly. He then placed some chopped ham on top of the egg, sunflower seeds over the ham for crunch; and grated cheese over the entire thing. He tilted the pan sliding the egg and toppings onto a slice of toast. Great! When I eat eggs, they also require a good coating of Tabasco sauce over them. A bed of hash browns would probably replace the toast nicely.

Last edited by DonDuck; September 10, 2018 at 10:01 AM.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2018   #7549
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Worth,

When I used to travel a lot, I made it a point to stay in a ratty old motel in Shreveport, Louisiana on Tuesday nights. There was a ratty, but clean restaurant next door which had all you can eat BLT sandwich's every Tuesday. I bet they hated seeing me come in.

A Papadeau's seafood restaurant had an all you can eat lobster night quite often. I ate there often when I was in that town. I think it was Beaumont, Texas. I really didn't even like lobster until I started eating there. I learned quickly to leave the butter off
Old September 10, 2018   #7550
imp
Tomatovillian™

Yes, the hash browns are cooked almost done before the eggs get added. If we were making these for a weekend type breakfast, we would take big old russet Burbank potatoes and slide them long ways down the old box grater to get long strips, to make prettier nets. Mom would dunk them in boiling water the night before so they would be cooked a bit and seasoned them up, put on the greased baking sheet made into "nests" ready for the morning. Out of the fridge, in a oven, add eggs, diced green onions or red peppers, ham or bacon bits, sometimes cheeses. It was a quick do ahead breakfast by having everything ready the night before just about.

If it was a slow day or having after church and company coming, sometimes she would make Hollendaise sauce to pour over the nests, for fancy, LOL.

Those 2 restaurants would have lost money on me when I loved to eat a lot and was so thin. I still like BLTs and lobster.
Old September 11, 2018   #7551
imp
Tomatovillian™

Corn and potato chowder tonight. Made with fresh corn, 5 for $1.00, so cheap eating, and healthy, too.
Old September 11, 2018   #7552
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I was playing with my food last night!!

I bought a sheet of croissant dough, cut it into 8 pieces and wrapped it around hotdogs. Baked till browned and served with homemade chili, onions and cheese. I made home fries and loaded them with chile, cheese, avocado, onions and Sriracha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2703.JPG (384.3 KB, 85 views)
Old September 11, 2018   #7553
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
...all you can eat BLT sandwich's... all you can eat lobster...
= heaven on a plate.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2018   #7554
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I had burgers last night with grilled veggies. Healthy and delicious. I grilled fresh Hatch peppers, peeled & cleaned out the seeds then grilled them again on the pit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2706.JPG (369.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2707.JPG (354.5 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2709.JPG (254.6 KB, 69 views)
Old September 13, 2018   #7555
imp
Tomatovillian™

Those look good, reminds me of my Mom's home made burgers on white bread
Old September 14, 2018   #7556
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

For dinner, boneless chicken thighs cut into strips, seasoned with salt, pepper, and a few herbs and sauteed with bell pepper strips, and chopped onion. Served with avocado on tortillas. I enjoy different foods served as tortilla rolls like chicken, beans, and beef strips with vegetables and avocado. Easy to prepare, easy to eat; and inexpensive.

My wife and I had been trying to locate an all vegetable lasagna we enjoyed one time in the past. We tried three or four brands, but couldn't find the brand we enjoyed before. The Aldi's ad for Sept. 12 included a "seven vegetable lasagna". It was a limited supply for one or two days. I bought two of the 32 ounce frozen lasagnas. I bought them because a lady who posted a review said it was the best lasagna she had ever eaten. She was right. They are delicious and loaded with vegetables. I asked the store manager if they stock them regularly. He said they only receive them occasionally and only received two boxes this time. I think two boxes is only sixteen lasagna's. I will scan their ad's in the future for them. Aldi's web page doesn't have a search feature unfortunately.
Old September 15, 2018   #7557
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Had chicken enchiladas yesterday & today, made by DH. My first enchiladas ever. Good!
Nan
Old September 15, 2018   #7558
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Had chicken enchiladas yesterday & today, made by DH. My first enchiladas ever. Good!
Nan

Did DH put cheese sauce or chili sauce over the enchiladas? Pretty good even without the sauce, just a little dry to my taste without the sauce. Welcome to the world of TexMex, now challenge DH to make Chili Rellenos. I've always wanted to have a real Philly cheese steak sandwich in the vicinity of where they originated. They use a different form of beef and a different cheese than the fake cheese steaks in my area, I want the grilled onions and the au jus sauce for dipping. I've been served Philly cheese steaks in my area which were simply sliced beef sandwiches with lettuce, tomato, and onion on them. Not the same.

Last edited by DonDuck; September 15, 2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old September 15, 2018   #7559
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Did DH put cheese sauce or chili sauce over the enchiladas? Pretty good even without the sauce, just a little dry to my taste without the sauce. Welcome to the world of TexMex...
He used enchilada sauce, whatever was in it (tomato based), plus actual cheese. We found medium-hot taco sauce and sour cream made them taste excellent.
Old September 16, 2018   #7560
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
He used enchilada sauce, whatever was in it (tomato based), plus actual cheese. We found medium-hot taco sauce and sour cream made them taste excellent.
I have seen so many types of enchilada sauces it boggles the mind.
Contrary to popular belief enchiladas are not Tex Mex they originated in Mexico and date back hundreds if not thousands of years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enchilada#History

Make sure and check out this lady while you are looking around.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Kennedy