Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 9, 2018   #1
imp
Tomatovillian™

Default Water Hoses

It's that time of year and I can recall the previous thread re water hoses, but cannot find it. Kinking hoses drive me nuttier than I am, and cheap hoses do not last in the Texas sun and weather.

The only name I can recall off the top of my head is rockporter was in that discussion, as were many others.

So, who is loving their water hoses after using them for awhile?

I do recall some one was posting about some lack hoses that were supposed to be quite good? Hope that helps if any one's memory is better than mine is, LOL!

Last edited by imp; March 9, 2018 at 08:15 PM. Reason: black hose comment
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #2
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

Sears has a good black rubber hose. Rubber hoses hold up well in the sun.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-all-r...p-07169602000P
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #3
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I remember that the Sears rubber hose was the winner in number of recommendations, but the down side was that it was very heavy. There was also a metal hose that was interesting but also had some drawbacks.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #4
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

https://www.waterrightinc.com/pages/water-right-videos

This is one that Joe Lamp'l recommends
Old March 9, 2018   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Imp, the best water hose I have bought is a black one like the one at Sears, but I bought it at Walmart. I don't remember the brand name though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (93.4 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by AlittleSalt; March 10, 2018 at 12:24 PM. Reason: picture
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #6
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Sears black hose. Buy once cry once.
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #7
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Imp, I do remember that previous hose discussion was here somewhere. At the time, I wasn't ready to go out and buy that hose, but I did find it on Amazon and put it on my "Buy later" list for when I would need it. So what I have saved on my Amazon account, is the
Teknor Apex Neverkink, 8844-100, PRO Water Hose, 5/8-in x 100-feet

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #8
rocketFOOD
Tomatovillian™

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-garden-hose/

The craftsman hoses are great. A little spendy but tough as all getout
rocketFOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #9
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketFOOD View Post
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-garden-hose/

The craftsman hoses are great. A little spendy but tough as all getout
I just bought 2 craftsman hoses 25ft for 7$ each shipped. I am a shop if way rewards member and currently have coupon for 20$ off 30$ & free ship over 25$. Also have several waterright nice hose too.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #10
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I got a Sears black hose a few years ago. It is tough. In the sun the water comes out just shy of boiling. I would dump a couple of gallons of steaming hot water out of it before I could put it near anything alive. I don't use it for that reason.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #11
Douglas_OW
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
It's that time of year and I can recall the previous thread re water hoses, but cannot find it. Kinking hoses drive me nuttier than I am, and cheap hoses do not last in the Texas sun and weather.

The only name I can recall off the top of my head is rockporter was in that discussion, as were many others.

So, who is loving their water hoses after using them for awhile?

I do recall some one was posting about some lack hoses that were supposed to be quite good? Hope that helps if any one's memory is better than mine is, LOL!
Here is a thread about hoses:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=41677

As far as getting super heated water from a black rubber hose, I spray that hot water on the weeds along my fence line, until the stream cools off.

Jim
Douglas_OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #12
PaulTandberg
Tomatovillian™

This is a great hose:

https://tinyurl.com/dandy-hose

The brand name is "Flexzilla". I can't speak to long exposure to the Texas sun, but up here in the Dakotas, I can safely say that this is by far the best garden hose I have ever used in forty years of using. (and I know a couple other fellows that will say the same thing). It is the lightest hose I have ever used. You can kink it if you try, but it won't hold a kink and it has no memory. It is a conventional hose, not an expandable one (a type of hose I have no experience with)

If this is to be a hose that is moved about and handled with some regularity, it is well worth the cost. If you are looking for a hose that will be laid and then left until end of season, that is a different set of parameters. But, if it is a lightweight, easy handling, sturdy, and lightweight (or did I say that already? Well, if I did, it bears repeating, this is a light, easy handling hose that will not hold a kink).

Menards, Home Depot, Hardware Hank and Amazon have it.

Last edited by PaulTandberg; March 10, 2018 at 02:15 PM. Reason: wanted to add Hardware Hank
PaulTandberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #13
imp
Tomatovillian™

Thank you all for the suggestions and links.

I will be moving it about some, but if it is a bit heavy that is okay, as long as it doesn't kink and kink and kink!!!! LOL.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #14
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

It's really strange, I remember that hose thread but I can't find the one I posted in either.

Here is the hose I have and I really do like it. It has held up very well outside and the kinks it makes come right out like it says when you pull on it. Kinks don't stay in it, you just pull toward you. Flexilla brand.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/se...ce:&pageSize:&

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2019   #15
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
It's really strange, I remember that hose thread but I can't find the one I posted in either.

Here is the hose I have and I really do like it. It has held up very well outside and the kinks it makes come right out like it says when you pull on it. Kinks don't stay in it, you just pull toward you. Flexilla brand.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/se...ce:&pageSize:&

Hi all, I have to update this thread. That hose is the worst hose I could ever vouch for and I am sorry if anyone has had problems with theirs. Mine has become solid black from mold, and there is orange slivers of material coming out of the hose. I don't know if it is growing algae or if it is the insides of the hose coming out. It blocked up two of my wands before I realized what was happening with them. I found numerous complaints regarding these very things on this hose on Amazon. I apologize if anyone bought this hose and lost money on it. Now I have to buy a new hose today. Have no clue what it will be but I need something in my garden that I am not fearing to touch.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote