Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 11, 2018   #1
rtvvvv
Tomatovillian™

Default i killed them...but wait.. what's this?

the seeds sprouted and grew well, they were 4-5in. tall nice leaves and strong stems. then i left them un attended/ un watered for a couple days TOTAL destruction all dozen+ plants dead! REALLY DEAD.

they were dead dry and as kind of a joke to my self i watered them. day 1 nothing,
day 2 nothing, day3 nothing, day 4: wow some of the stems moved! (all the leaves still dead) day 6 : there is something green!! new leaves!

It appears they are trying to come back from just the stem. UNBELIEVABLE

!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T1.jpg (252.7 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg T2.jpg (202.4 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg T3.jpg (193.4 KB, 356 views)
rtvvvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018   #2
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Life will always find a way!!!!
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018   #3
bower
Tomatovillian™

That's great! As a bonus, all their drought-tolerance genes have been activated.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018   #4
killab
Tomatovillian™

awesome
killab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018   #5
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Good to know, that if they've been killed by drought, try watering them anyway.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018   #6
sdambr
Tomatovillian™

I would try to cut the top dry parts off, there is still hope.

"There are only two ways to live your life: as though nothing is a miracle, or as though everything is a miracle."
Albert Einstein
sdambr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018   #7
kath
Tomatovillian™

Do you have more seed? Assuming you do, I'd start over if you haven't already. The reason I say this is because one year when most of my plants that were already in the ground were killed by a freak frost but some sprouted again from stems of plants that looked nearly as dead as yours (although in a different way), BUT they were very slow to come back and never caught up with plants I started again from seed a week later.

Not sure when you safe plant out date for tomatoes is where you are in MI, but tomatoes sown here in PA zone 6B are plenty big to put out mid-May but I can easily hold them until the end of the month.

Anyway, just something to consider, fwiw. Good luck!
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Do you have more seed? Assuming you do, I'd start over if you haven't already. The reason I say this is because one year when most of my plants that were already in the ground were killed by a freak frost but some sprouted again from stems of plants that looked nearly as dead as yours (although in a different way), BUT they were very slow to come back and never caught up with plants I started again from seed a week later.

Not sure when you safe plant out date for tomatoes is where you are in MI, but tomatoes sown here in PA zone 6B are plenty big to put out mid-May but I can easily hold them until the end of the month.

Me too.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018   #9
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Dead seedlings

Buy the plants from a nursery or big box store.
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #10
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default i killed them...but wait.. what's this?

I agree with Kath. You likely have plenty of time to start new seeds and have seedlings ready to go by plant out time if these end up not making it or are severely stunted.

And if these do recover, then you'll have back-ups incase they don't survive for any reason after plant-out. I always keep back-up plants for at least two to three weeks after I plant out, just in case...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #11
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Me too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyShoe View Post
Buy the plants from a nursery or big box store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I agree with Kath. You likely have plenty of time to start new seeds and have seedlings ready to go by plant out time if these end up not making it or are severely stunted.

And if these do recover, then you'll have back-ups incase they don't survive for any reason after plant-out. I always keep back-up plants for at least two to three weeks after I plant out, just in case...
I agree. I'm looking at doing something along those same lines tomorrow.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #12
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I always keep back-up plants for at least two to three weeks after I plant out, just in case...
Great point - back-up plants are certainly extra work and require more space but ever since I lost over 100 plants in that freeze, I'm never without them. They're easy to give away to friends, family, neighbors, senior centers, etc. I just pot them up to containers that I don't mind not getting back.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #13
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I always start a tray a month early, then another a week or two later, then a third
about the correct time. Insurance. Not only does my plant out time change every year
depending on weather, something just may go wrong in the sprouting and seedling
stage.
My early tray is all saved seed of my top ten so I have plenty and free. Top 13 really....
the bakers dozen. If that tray does well, most go to friends and family as they are
growing in a slightly warmer zone.

I'm not fond of the fiber type starting cell/pots. They dry out in the blink of a eye, especially
since I need to run a fan 24/7 as Spring thaw this time of year is very high in humidity
in my down stairs grow room.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #14
chadandpia
Tomatovillian™

speaking of the fiber type of pots .. this is the first year I've used them .. normally I've used biodome seed starters from Parkseed which uses sponges that you just re-order each year. Well, I was laid off last October after 17 years so was looking at ways to save money and thought seed starting would be one of those areas as I can get a lot of those small fiber pots for 1/3rd of the cost of ordering the sponges.. anyway, I've always bottom watered and was doing the same for these but I've noticed that some of them are starting to develop a white mold around the outside of the pots .. is that normal or something to be concerned about? I never had any issues like that with the biodome sponges....
chadandpia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #15
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

White mold on the Peat Pots never seemed to bother mine. Also, sometimes the white roots poke through the pot, don't know if that's something you're seeing.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote