Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old July 1, 2016   #31
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Gerardo, you've read my mind. I have a psycho little dweeb neighbor. Always in my face over nothing. I was just thinking yesterday, "I'll bet if I had a six-footer next to me (a husband or boyfriend) the little sh** wouldn't come after me like this".
I can't imagine someone doing that to my wife if I wasn't around. And I'm in no way an aggressive type person. Tell someone about this when it happens & be careful.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #32
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

Cole, very cool of you to have conducted yourself well in the face of confrontation.

Our farmer's markets are not where you go to look for a "deal". Heirloom tomatoes are going for $4-$5 a pound, and most produce $2.50+/lb and organic $4.50/lb upwards.

The girls in the mma group I train with, many are small in statue but crazy ferocious. Not kidding!
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #33
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Thanks Gerardo and Wildcat. The support feels good!
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #34
bower
Tomatovillian™

The tomato price wars in illinois are a sad story. When the market for a product is so saturated, no one can make a living. When the product is produce, you have no choice - sell or spoil! People will be leaving the business in years coming, because it's not sustainable.

It's too bad that people also get angry instead of dealing with the issue some other way. This guy had no people skills, so how would he be good in a marketplace anyway? They should leave him at home to water the plants. Gently.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #35
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I really have not had time to keep up on the threads here in past few days. Cole, you already know that I think you did the right thing. Even though, we have never met - I know you're a good person and one that I think of you as a friend.

Deborah, there's going to be a bully around every corner. They can get to you in many ways. Yes, it helps being a man over 6' tall, but there are ways that people can get to you without being so direct. Just be careful and get away from people like the one you described. I do know that is easier said than done.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #36
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
The girls in the mma group I train with, many are small in statue but crazy ferocious. Not kidding!
The very first night I went to an mma class, I ended up with my trainer's wife as a partner for the drills we were learning. She had been training under him most of her adult life. We were doing a drill where we took turns with one partner not being allowed to use their arms. The idea is to teach you to move the rest of your body better. When it was her turn to be the one w/o arms, she sat on me for the two minute period, and I was not even close to be able to get up. So not only did I get beat up by a woman, I got beat up by one who wasn't allowed to use her arms.

And thank you to everyone for the kind words. I've lost my cool and been the angry blowhard too many times in my life, especially when younger, and of course always regretted it. That's what makes me more level-headed today.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2016   #37
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
The very first night I went to an mma class, I ended up with my trainer's wife as a partner for the drills we were learning. She had been training under him most of her adult life. We were doing a drill where we took turns with one partner not being allowed to use their arms. The idea is to teach you to move the rest of your body better. When it was her turn to be the one w/o arms, she sat on me for the two minute period, and I was not even close to be able to get up. So not only did I get beat up by a woman, I got beat up by one who wasn't allowed to use her arms.

And thank you to everyone for the kind words. I've lost my cool and been the angry blowhard too many times in my life, especially when younger, and of course always regretted it. That's what makes me more level-headed today.
I can think of worse things

We all know the type, unfortanuately. re: hothead. A quick, hard punch to the throat always puts things in perspective; or just mace his face.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2016   #38
Isabelle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Gerardo, you've read my mind. I have a psycho little dweeb neighbor. Always in my face over nothing. I was just thinking yesterday, "I'll bet if I had a six-footer next to me (a husband or boyfriend) the little sh** wouldn't come after me like this".
I think there is a time and a place to be more passive, as Cole was. Though if I had a neighbor that was doing that to me I think I'd return the favor in some way, just to show him I'm not going to put up with it. I'm not an aggressive person AT ALL, but I could fake it if I felt like I needed to. Unless of course you feel he is a real danger, and provoking him would put you in danger. Then, I'd just try to steer clear.
Isabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2016   #39
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabelle View Post
I think there is a time and a place to be more passive, as Cole was. Though if I had a neighbor that was doing that to me I think I'd return the favor in some way, just to show him I'm not going to put up with it. I'm not an aggressive person AT ALL, but I could fake it if I felt like I needed to. Unless of course you feel he is a real danger, and provoking him would put you in danger. Then, I'd just try to steer clear.
Stick a potoato in his tailpipe. BOOM
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2016   #40
Deborah

What I finally did was to put a stern note on his door. I informed him that surveillance and harassment are against the law, and that if the behavior continues I won't hesitate to file a police report and to have an officer at his door. And now we wait...
Old July 2, 2016   #41
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
What I finally did was to put a stern note on his door. I informed him that surveillance and harassment are against the law, and that if the behavior continues I won't hesitate to file a police report and to have an officer at his door. And now we wait...
Cole lowered his prices .
I told a guy I thought animals had rights.

What did you do to set him off on you?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2016   #42
Deborah

Nothing. Thanks for putting the blame on me.
Old July 2, 2016   #43
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Nothing. Thanks for putting the blame on me.
Nobody put the blame on you.
Blame is an insinuation of fault or of doing wrong.
Just something as simple as saying something to someone can set them off.
I told a guy at the store the other day that tossed his garbage from his cart into my cart, yes he did.
I told him you used my cart as a trash can when one is right next to you.

In the store with his wife he said, did you say something to me out there?
I said no I was talking to myself.
He said good you better not have been talking to me.

The guy was just a total jerk.
Like what was he going to do if I was talking to him, hit me.
If he would have I would have just let him do it and the security cameras would have picked it up.
No I wasn't blaming you I just wanted to know what ticked the guy off.

There are occasion where people just pick other people out to harass I have had that happen too.
I figured I reminded them of someone they didn't like.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2016   #44
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I had a good market this morning, sold everything.

There are often customers who have unruly children, and putting up with them is part of being a vendor. But today there was one little girl who set a new standard for bad kid behavior. She looked about 7 or 8. Her mom was buying tomatoes and she leaned over the edge of my bin of them, putting her elbows forward and her hands back. I was about to tell her to stop, but I didn't. I didn't like the way that little girl was looking at me. She had a devious look on her face.

It turns out, I noticed after she left, that she was leaning forward so she could hide the fact that she was poking holes in my tomatoes for fun! The ones on the edge of the bin had little-girl sized half-moon fingernail cuts in them.

That's it, kid. You're not going to fool me twice. I'm going to see you coming next time. And as soon as you lean forward, I'm going to say, "oh no, honey, don't lean on that! I don't want it to fall on you!" LOL...you little vandal.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2016   #45
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

You can also make a sign that says "Sale today, excess inventory."
TOMATOES 1.50LB
What could he possibly say then. Great points made, pricing may hurt sometimes, and hopefully not on the wrong end.

LOL, that was a classic story. HAHA
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote