Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 29, 2015   #1
MikeBiondo

Default Seedling directly into their final home

Okay, let me preface this with I am in South Florida, so I can put plants out at anytime...

I've started some seeds, and the seedlings have 2-3 sets of true leaves. I've been hardening them off/setting them out in the sun for a couple weeks now. These particular plants will be going into 3 gallon SWC's. I was going to first transplant them into Solo cups, and let them grow a bit more, when I thought...why?

Is there any reason why I shouldn't transplant the seedlings directly into their final home/container. The only thing I can think of would be good hard rain might play havoc with the young plants, but I think I can pretty much protect them from that.

Thanks for any input...

Mike
Old January 29, 2015   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I think the reason why people pot up tomatoes into larger and larger containers is so that they will develop fibrous roots rather than a long tap root. The fibrous roots are supposed to be better.

However, if I lived in FL, I probably wouldn't bother. I've had volunteer seedlings sprouting in my veggie garden in VT which have thrived to maturity just fine.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #3
kath
Tomatovillian™

I would think the sooner they're in their final home, the better- especially since you've got warm soil & temps. One year when I lost most of my May planting to frost, I restarted seedlings in June in 72 cell trays but they lived outdoors in the sun from the time they germinated and they were planted out by ~ 4 wks. & they were happy & healthy. Another year I direct seeded Rutgers seeds outdoors in June here when an available area in the garden made me decide to try to can some tomatoes that season- got great plants and an abundant crop well before frost this way.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote