Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 19, 2015   #1
dan0000
Tomatovillian™

Default Questions: Optimizing Earthtainer Grow Media

Hello All,

I've used Raybo's Earthtainers for two seasons. I love them! I am growing heirloom tomatoes. My first year results were superior to my second year. Right or wrong, I have decided to "start over" with new grow media this year.

I'm going to use the 3-2-1 suggestion in Raybo's instructions with some modifications. Here is what I am thinking for now:

* Pro-Mix HP as that's what's available in my area (3 parts)
* Microbark (2 parts)
* Perlite (1/2 parts, as the Pro-Mix HP already contains perlite)
* Actinovate (per instructions)
* Soil probiotic (per instructions)

Now my questions:

1. The Pro-Mix already contains lime. I assume I should still add per Raybo's instructions but my concern is that the mix is already pH optimized. Will adding more lime per the instructions move the pH out of an optimal range?

2. The Pro-Mix already contains mycorrhizae. Should I add more?

3. What about bat guano? I was thinking about a half cup at the base of the hole before popping the plant in.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any comments or suggestions for better optimizing my grow media. I'm excited for the season!

Dan
dan0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2015   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Dan,

Pro-Mix contains trace amounts of Lime - nowhere near enough for the EarthTainer ecosystem.

I am going to use Orchid Bark this Season to see how it works. More expensive than the Earth-grow pine bark at Home Depot - but I believe it will perform better. I'll know more at the end of the Season, but it is something you may want to consider.

Adding other mycos is always a good idea. I've had good success with Actinovate, Biota-Max, and Azos.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2015   #3
dan0000
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ray. I'll go check out the Orchid Bark. Appreciate it!
Old March 19, 2015   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0000 View Post
Thanks Ray. I'll go check out the Orchid Bark. Appreciate it!
It is hard to find in the larger, less expensive bags:

I went to a local Nursery (Yamagami's in Cupertino) who had it (about $18 for a 2 cubic foot bag).

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2015   #5
dan0000
Tomatovillian™

I found the Orchid Bark at my local nursery in 1 cubic foot bags for about the same price/cu. ft. you paid. Going to give it a go this season.

I'm also going to supplement the Pro-Mix HP with vermiculite as it appears to be an ingredient in the Pro-Mix BX that's missing from the HP mix. So my modified grow media is now as follows:

* Pro-Mix HP (3 parts)
* Orchid Bark (2 parts)
* Perlite (0.5 parts)
* Vermiculite (0.5 parts)

Then E.B. Stone Sure Start per the instructions.

I still am unsure about the following so any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated:

1. Any issue with the 3:2:0.5:0.5 grow media mix? Really just wondering about the vermiculite. Is it needed and if so do I have the right amount?

2. I have leftover Jobes 2-5-3 fertilizer from last year. Does this seem correct to use for the fertilizer strip? As I mentioned, my results last year weren't great and I'm wondering if this might have contributed.

3. How exactly do I apply the Actinovate, Mykos, and Azos? Do I just throw these down all together at the base of the plant before I pop it in?

As always, thanks for all the suggestions.

Dan
Old March 21, 2015   #6
dan0000
Tomatovillian™

The answer to my last question is well documented in the forums. I apologize for not seeing it in my admittedly quick searches. I have copied Ami's method here in case any one else is wondering.

Ami said:
Quote:
For my preplant dip solution I get a small bucket 1 1/2 to 2 gallon in size. Add I gallon of water and dissolve 1/4 tablet Biota Max in the water. Then add 2 teaspoons of Actinovate and 2 Teaspoons of Mycogrow soluable to the solution and mix well.
Now submerge the pot of the seedling just below the surface of the water to fill the pot with the solution, remove and allow the pot to drain back into the bucket. Then remove the seedling from the pot if plastic type was used or plant the pot w/seedling if Dot Pot Or Cow Pots were used.
Just be careful when dipping the pot in the solution as you want to retain as much aggregate in the pot as possible rather than have it float out of the pot and into the dip bucket.
During the dipping operation periodically agitate the water to keep the ingredients mixed in the solution. When your done apply the left over dip to the plants you have just planted. The above instructions are assuming you are using 4" pots or less in size. Ami