Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old May 10, 2015   #1
metromix
Tomatovillian™

Default How to use Coffee grinds

Just getting into winter in Australia so I am thinking of getting beds prepared for my summer tomato crop only 3 months for the early varieties. I have heard that coffee grinds are good for the soil as they have plenty of nitrogen, I have collected a fair bit but cant find how to use it. Do I dig it a handful a square meter or maybe more, just before I plant the seedlings, do I sprinkle it around the plant when planted or do I dig it in now letting the worms feast on them or all of the above
metromix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2015   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by metromix View Post
Just getting into winter in Australia so I am thinking of getting beds prepared for my summer tomato crop only 3 months for the early varieties. I have heard that coffee grinds are good for the soil as they have plenty of nitrogen, I have collected a fair bit but cant find how to use it. Do I dig it a handful a square meter or maybe more, just before I plant the seedlings, do I sprinkle it around the plant when planted or do I dig it in now letting the worms feast on them or all of the above
I use them 2 ways mainly. First in my compost pile. The second is sprinkled on the surface of the ground before I apply mulch.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2015   #3
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I also prefer to compost them a few weeks before applying them. They break down pretty fast.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2015   #4
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Worms love coffee grounds! I always get a mental picture of a bunch of "caffeine hyped" worms in a frenzy just below the surface! In Wyoming, we always dumped them in our worm bed (My family is of the avid fishermen type.)We only drink LaVaza coffee from Italy, using a press so it's pretty much like a 16OZ espresso! We always have A LOT of coffee grounds to deal with. Might have to put those worms on decaf!
Old May 10, 2015   #5
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

I also compost them too, along with tea bags. We drink a lot of iced tea where I live.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2015   #6
Misfit
Tomatovillian™

I wonder, do the worms like the tea grounds as much as coffee?

-Jimmy
Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2015   #7
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
I wonder, do the worms like the tea grounds as much as coffee?

-Jimmy
Im curious too. We go thru alot of tea in bulk here. Once the weather warms we switch from coffee to tea entirely.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2015   #8
Karla
Tomatovillian™

I add coffee grounds along with crushed egg shells and banana peelings at planting time for tomatoes.
Old May 12, 2015   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
Im curious too. We go thru alot of tea in bulk here. Once the weather warms we switch from coffee to tea entirely.

I do too for the most part and I have always put the tea leaves in the compost pile or around some random yard plant.

I only use loose leaf tea.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2015   #10
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I do too for the most part and I have always put the tea leaves in the compost pile or around some random yard plant.

I only use loose leaf tea.

Worth
Thats what we do too. My wife set up some deal online where they send us a big box of Twinnings about every month or so. It looks like it would be expensive but its really not compared to store prices.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2015   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
Thats what we do too. My wife set up some deal online where they send us a big box of Twinnings about every month or so. It looks like it would be expensive but its really not compared to store prices.
I get mine at a place called to Phoenician Market in Austin.
It is around a kilo and costs about $5.00 or so.
It is in a big pink bag.
You cant read a thing on it and it looks like something heroin would be smuggled in.
It is of the finest grade.
The place is full of bargains like that.
The stuff in the little bags are floor sweepings.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2015   #12
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

They do like tea...I am an iced tea junky as well as a coffee junky (can't seem to get enough caffeine...) I think the worms are caffeine junkies... Worth... I think you need this:

Rare tea picked every 108 years on a full moon night in June between midnight and 3am goes on sale in UK ... but a jar making just 10 cups will set you back £50

Old May 18, 2015   #13
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Brokenbar, which Lavazza coffee do you buy? I recently drank some delicious iced coffee and was told only Lavazza. But there are different blends out there. I wonder if the whole bean espresso might be the way to go...

Sorry to detract from the nature of the thread, but I need to know!
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2015   #14
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

PeeBee, Lavazza Super Crema & Lavazza Espresso roast, whole bean.
https://www.wholelattelove.com/ has the best price I have found and free shipping on cases. We have drank this coffee for about 15 years.
Old May 25, 2015   #15
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

Just wanted to add to this thread that coffee grounds are available at no cost, if you pick them up at starbucks. I work there part time and its preferred if you call first so that we can dump a bag for you and have it ready when you come. Just adding my 2 cents You can literally get as much as you want and as frequently as possible