Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old May 13, 2011   #1
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Default Will rabbit poop burn tomatoes?

I need to plant in really sandy soil this year - new plot. I am worried about lots of root knot nematodes - have access to lots of rabbit poop - want to use it to give big organic boost to the poor poor soil - question is - will rabbit poop burn plants like chicken poop?

Last edited by stormymater; May 13, 2011 at 12:22 AM. Reason: rabbits are not chickens - time for bed
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011   #2
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

No, it will not. Rabbit poop does not contain the urine components like chicken poop does. (chickens do not urinate...it is all contained in one package...that's the white part) I would prefer to hose down fresh rabbit poop before putting it in a garden to remove any urine (rabbit urine is really strong). Even better would be to compost it for a bit to break down some. I've sprinkled it on potted plants with no problem.
Old May 13, 2011   #3
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

I'll second what Barb says. Is it aged at all? If so you will be fine and even if its not you should be ok. Fred Hempel who is a TV member and a friend here was kind enough to give me 4 large bags of rabbit manure, it has done wonders for my soil and my plants. I turned some soil over the other day where I had added some of the rabbit manure a few months ago and to my surprise there were huge fat earthworms everywhere.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011   #4
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Well, YAY! The pile beneath the hutches is sedimentary - oldest on the bottom - fresher on top - so it'll all get mixed when I shovel it into the wheel barrow. This plot is super sandy & acidic so I have spread hundreds of pounds of dolomitic lime & judicious amounts of aged chicken manure earlier in the spring. The holes are sooo sandy I wanted to boost the organic matter b/c not all the varieties I am planting have innate nematode resistance (errr tolerance).
Fortunately my friend who lives next to the field has rabbits who poop a lot it seems & he has generously offered as much rabbit & aged chicken manure as I want. I'm a little afraid of the chicken manure so have been skimpy according to my friend.

Another friend has offered aged goat manure - I just have to drive to it & load it in the truck. I suspect the goat poop would be the most benign but the rabbit poop is the closet & safer than the chicken poop.

BTW- did you know fire ants LOVE poultry poop? I was slinging it & thinking the stuff was mighty hot & stingy; then I noticed it was the little itty bitty fire ants biting my hand that were so hot & stingy.
Old May 13, 2011   #5
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

I've used it fresh on nearly everything w/o any burning of the plants. I will even use a few pellets in the mix when I'm potting up.
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011   #6
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

rabbit and llama manure are safe to use the minute they leave the critter. don't try that with any other manure that wasn't aged for a few months.
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011   #7
muskymojo
Tomatovillian™

I agree. Rabbit manure is safe without being aged, and it's great stuff. I've never rinsed it, but I guess that makes sense.
muskymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011   #8
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

ok - one more question - how about goat manure - aged is fine? How aged is aged? After planting 23 plants I am lower in rabbit poop than I would like (have at least another 120 plants to go - ho, ho, ho!)

Cow manure - aged is better,right? How aged is aged?

I have a source for aged goat manure (several years old) & fresh beef cow flops - go for the goat first?
Old May 14, 2011   #9
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Personally, I would stay away from fresh cow manure. The aged goat manure should be fine.

It sounds like the chicken manure you have access to is aged also. I would think aged chicken manure would be fine. I wouldn't use fresh chicken manure. By aged, I mean it looks more like compost than manure.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011   #10
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

I have used my rabbits manure on everything for the last 8 years and my tomato plants love me for it. Always used it fresh and it will never burn since it is basically pure Alfalfa.
beefyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011   #11
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Basically, any critter that puts out little 'pellets' is safe to use 'fresh'. Some, like rabbits can be used in large amounts straight from the critter, others not a long composting period is needed. Most large animals (cows, horse, etc) should be composted at least 3 to 6 months. Carnivore poop should be HOT composted at least 1 yr. Also, the amount, if any, of bedding needs to be considered as to whether to use it fresh or compost it.
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011   #12
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I wouldn't have any problem using it fresh even if there was a bit of urine in there.

I've been using sheep manure this year, and of course there are some pellets in there, even though it is somewhat aged. But it works wonders.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011   #13
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormymater View Post
ok - one more question - how about goat manure - aged is fine? How aged is aged? After planting 23 plants I am lower in rabbit poop than I would like (have at least another 120 plants to go - ho, ho, ho!)
Inasmuch as this is your first go with manures. hows about stirring it into soil, letting it get watered/rained on once before adding tomato plants.

Its hard to burn new plants with combined dirt and goat manure (or rabbit for that matter).

Quote:
Cow manure - aged is better,right? How aged is aged?
Unlike rabbit, goat, camelid, cattle don't make the same nice little bullets. It (cow poo) should no longer be hot.

Quote:
I have a source for aged goat manure (several years old) & fresh beef cow flops - go for the goat first?
I'd go for goat poo first, it and rabbit are favorites of mine for the garden
Old May 20, 2011   #14
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...t_content.html
this might help.....
Old May 21, 2011   #15
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I have a friend who is a famous grower of Iris and he will drive 100 miles to get his favorite manure, rabbit or his 2nd favorite, goat, I always wished I had had access to either of those. Now that I am in Mexico, I am going to scout around and see if either are available. Virtually weed-free, comes out of the manufacturer "ready to use" () and breaks down very quickly. The worms love it!