Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old October 14, 2011   #1
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Default Building raised beds

Folks, There is alot of great information on raised beds on the posts in this Forum, and thank you again for your time and energy in creating this repository of wisdom.

I am putting 6 raised beds in November for planting next March. They will be 3 feet by 25 feet by 12 inches.

One question that I cannot find an answer to is this: why do people generally cover the bottom of the beds before building up the soil? Some on this forum use cardboard, others use newspaper or other materials.

I am building the beds on what was formerly a lawn - I used it this year for gardening but the quality and hardness of the soil reduced my yield. Do I need to cover the bottoms of the beds before I build my soil in the raised beds?

A second question is this: When you have a raised bed, are there special watering techniques that you use? Does it dry out faster? I plan to have a trench running down the center and just use it as an irrigation channel (they run downhill at a slight slope). Is that a good idea?

Thanks again.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2011   #2
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Covering the bottom is usually done for weed suppression in my area.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2011   #3
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

Generally I've used a light barrier of cardboard to reduce infiltration by grass-weeds, on new beds.

Soil in lawns tends to be compacted. Creating a 'no-walk' space by use of a raised bed (and the liberal application of organic material) enables soil all by itself to start to decompact. Worms also start the heavy lifting of airating soil.

On subsequent years I do start double digging, to get OM (organic material) mixed into subsoil.

Your Georgian climate should permit use of cover crops to be turned under too.
Old December 8, 2011   #4
bobberman
Tomatovillian™

I would use leaves on the bottom several inches. Cardboard takes to long to decompose and a few layers of paper are better. I would put some type of fertilizer top the grass which will help kill it and make better deep soil! Sand is also good as a 2 inch layer! There are alot of options. Don't forget that a raised bed like you are making works great as early cold frame which can be changed over to the raised bed later in the spring! The grass will make great deep rich soil! Watering would be easy since it will hold the moisture as well as any garden! If you have paper shredder that works great also!
bobberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2011   #5
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Scott,

I have been growing in raised beds for many years. I do not agree with the idea of placing a "weed barrier" under the bed. I till the soil at least 8" deep under the raised bed before I assemble it. The weed barrier also acts as a root barrier.

I place a drainage tile (usually 2" pvc with holes drilled in it, surrounded by pea gravel) about 6" deep in the existing soil for drainage. It works great here in Ohio.

You will need to water a bit more than an in-ground garden. Your drainage is far superior so you don't need to worry much about over-watering.
MikeInOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2011   #6
bobberman
Tomatovillian™

A weed barrier is bad for roots unless it is one like paper that decomposes quick and the roots can push their way through easilt one it gets wet!
Old December 13, 2011   #7
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, folks. I did not use a weed barrier at all in the end - I wanted the worms to rise easily into the new beds. Thanks for everyone's comments, which I have found enormously useful.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2012   #8
TexasSue
Tomatovillian™

I would rough up the bottom grass soil good ,add leaves,chopped newspapers and household compost,bagged compost , manure ,lots of fish guts and bones if you can get it and anything I could compost as 12" deep takes a lot of soil ,layer all this stuff add some fertilizer and layer more composting stuff mentioned and then cover with a nice soil ,water and let it set till spring or for march planting, you are in Georgia and it wont be decayed so use gloves to plant . Heat makes stuff decay quickly . When I had a raised bed like yours,I measured and made a curved bed using cement blocks and then ran a soaker hose with a timer on it down the middle and planted on each of the sides and where the hose ended,I stopped my raised bed . This worked great for me and the holes in the cement blocks worked good for some herbs and flowers ,then I moved
TexasSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2012   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I would put the raised beds in level not at a slope, one for looks and the other is so the water drains evenly or the up hill side will dry out faster.

But all of this is relative to how much of a slope you are talking about.

If it is too much of a slope if you are going to add poles or other things to the beds for cover and such it can turn into a nightmare.

You will be asking yourself should I make them level or square.
For me level AND square is best.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote