Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 10, 2014   #1
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

Default seeds from 1962???

i just got some tomato seeds from a fella whose father was an old italian gardener who seemed to have a lot of things figured out. i never met the father, but was at an estate sale at his house after he died several years ago. i was very impressed with his gardens, and lay out. the son gave me some seeds after i asked him if he had some from his dad.
the son said they were from 1962, and they go back to 1912. he said his dad called them crispy red.

its too late for me to start them this year.
i know to soak the seeds overnight with a pinch of blue stuff for nitrogen booster, and just barely covering them, but 1962?. the oldest seeds that i have had sprout were 16 yrs old, and they were just stalks with no growing tip.
i will give it a go.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2014   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

nothing ventured...
good luck, would be very cool if you can get even one to grow.
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2014   #3
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

I'm curious what a "crispy red" tomato would be like

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2014   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxkeith View Post
i just got some tomato seeds from a fella whose father was an old italian gardener who seemed to have a lot of things figured out. i never met the father, but was at an estate sale at his house after he died several years ago. i was very impressed with his gardens, and lay out. the son gave me some seeds after i asked him if he had some from his dad.
the son said they were from 1962, and they go back to 1912. he said his dad called them crispy red.

its too late for me to start them this year.
i know to soak the seeds overnight with a pinch of blue stuff for nitrogen booster, and just barely covering them, but 1962?. the oldest seeds that i have had sprout were 16 yrs old, and they were just stalks with no growing tip.
i will give it a go.

keith
Keith, the oldest seeds I woke up were seeds of September Dawn that were 22 yo old.

But when all the seeds were moved from the Cheyenne WY precursor to the USDA station in Ames IA, they were able to wake up seeds that were 50 yo that had been stored just in filing cabinets at ambient temps. So I'm sure that seed viability isalsolinked to seed stoage conditions.

I think you remember how long I soak old seeds and with what and what I do after that, and how long I wait for germination and what I water with,but can repeat here if you want me to.

Carolyn
Old May 11, 2014   #5
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn I wish you would repeat it for those of us that never saw that information. Being fairly new here I know I have missed a lot of good information. Sometimes I can find things by ding a search but there is so much here it can be tricky to find.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2014   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
Carolyn I wish you would repeat it for those of us that never saw that information. Being fairly new here I know I have missed a lot of good information. Sometimes I can find things by ding a search but there is so much here it can be tricky to find.
First, with much older seeds it depends on how many seeds are available, but never use ALL the seeds you have at the first attempt.

Put the seeds in a small container, maybe half a cup of water to which is added a pinch of Blue stuff, like Miracle Grow or Peters, or several drops of concentrated Fish or seaweed prep if wanting something organic.

Stir the seeds from time to time, for at least 24-48 hours and hopefully you'll see the seeds sink when they become rehydrated since older seeds can be very dehydrated.

Sow the seeds in a good artificial mix, cover with a baggie, or whatever, with one end propped open for airflow. Water with water to which has been added the same blue stuff or organic stuff, when needed.

Sit back and wait.

I've had to wait up to two monthe before I saw any germination. Seeds from heart varieties are much harder to wake up since they lose viability faster than others.

Many years ago Craig L ( nctomatoman) and I tried many different methods that had been suggested, such as tea, microwave, K nitrate, giberellic acid, you name it, but the above method worked best for me.

What the blue stuff or fish or seaweed provide is a high concentration of nitrate ions which are known to be important in seed germination, and not just for tomato seed.

My best save was the variety Magnus, which appeared on the 1900 cover of Livington Seeds. At the time Craig and I were getting seeds from the USDA when that was possible, and one of the ones he requested was Magnus.

He couldn't get any germination so sent the seeds to me to try, I did, and it took a long time but finally I got ONE seedling up and it turned out to have all the traits of Magnus.

And all seeds of Magnus now available came from that plant.

Carolyn
Old May 11, 2014   #7
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Here is the entry from my seed log:

94-99 0.1 Magnus, Livingston's plant, NY MA C; 891 02-49 PL Historic, Ind potato leaf, smooth medium pink oblate, good
Old May 17, 2014   #8
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

Carolyn
What a great story, Carolyn! Amazing how robust heirloom tomato plants can be.
Old May 17, 2014   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cythaenopsis View Post
No, It had nothing to do with Magnus being robust, it had to do with how lucky I was to get the correct PL Magnus from those low germinating seeds that Craig sent me.

Carolyn
Old May 18, 2014   #10
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cythaenopsis View Post
Get her to tell you the rest of the Magnus story . . . it's not long past Mother's Day. It's probably my 90 year old mother's favorite of Carolyn's stories.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2014   #11
Tanya1977
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

Carolyn
Amazing! Heirloom tomato was reborn! Very good story!
Tanya1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2014   #12
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

okaaaaay,

i got a clarification on the seeds.

they are not from 1962. they are from last year. they have been saved from a batch of seeds each year since 1962. original seeds go back to 1912.
pressure is off.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2014   #13
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

<sigh>

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2014   #14
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Wow that sparked quite an interesting bunch of post.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2014   #15
loudog
Tomatovillian™

Waiting for someone to finish the Magnus story! please ! hope this doesn't end up like MASH and The Rooster Crowed at Midnight. lol
loudog is offline   Reply With Quote