Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 10, 2014   #1
Jeff_M
Tomatovillian™

Default New tomato / flower broken off

Howdy,
I am growing some Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes and they tend to bloom/fruit all in a row along a branch. I notice today many broken off right above where the fruit would grow.

I touched one of the small green tomatoes lightly along a row that was missing several and it just fell off without hardly any pressure.

What is going on? Is an insect cutting them off? Or are they really fragile and high winds are knocking them off?

Sorry pretty new at this but I feel like I am losing a lot of fruit this way
Jeff_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2014   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I think flower drop is fairly common particularly if the plant is under stress like too dry, too hot, too wet, too windy, too....lots of stuff. As conditions stabilize you should see fruits and flowers staying on and ripening.
Old May 10, 2014   #3
Jeff_M
Tomatovillian™

Well this was little green tomatoes about 1/2 normal size that dropped off, not just the flowers.

Are cherry tomatoes more prone to wind? I have some larger sized and that does not seem to be a problem.
Jeff_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2014   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Sweet 100 is notorious for having brittle fruit"stems" that have the fruit break off. At least it happened to mine every time I grew that one. I was always able to get abundant fruit production from it, but go to pick one or even brush against it and it would often break off. I think you will get lots to grow to maturity though.
Suggestion; just in case, look closely at the blossoms and see if you see any insects on them, also look and see if any very small insects are flying around on the plants. There is one called a tomato bug (Engytatus Modesta)that causes the stems and blossoms to become brittle as it feeds by piercing and sucking mouthparts on the stems.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote