Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old July 1, 2016   #1
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Chinese Giant - A productive bell pepper

Thought I'd take a minute and share my experience with Chinese Giant. I've never had luck with bell peppers in the ground or in containers, until now. Since I've read posts from others over the years stating their frustration with bells as well, I decided to post a pick of the plant I have currently. The pot is only 10" so I'm guessing that may impact size of the peppers. Haven't had a ripe one yet so will have to wait to find out. Including tiny ones starting out I have about 10 growing on this plant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IndoorGarden(16).jpg (135.3 KB, 302 views)

Last edited by OmahaJB; July 1, 2016 at 04:06 PM.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #2
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Another pic of the same plant:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IndoorGarden(17).jpg (171.6 KB, 301 views)
Old July 7, 2016   #3
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for sharing! : ) I have looked at getting Chinese Giant but have so much trouble growing bells I didn't order any seed. After seeing your pics think I may have to remedy the situation and get some. Nice looking plants. Keep us updated on how it does and what it looks like. : )
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2016   #4
Isabelle
Tomatovillian™

Very nice, thanks for the pics! I've never actually heard of Chinese Giant- it may be something I should look in to.
Isabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2016   #5
peppero
Tomatovillian™

After several years of less than fantastic results with this pepper , I am still trying and hoping for success, but with low expectations.

Jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2016   #6
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

The Burpee website recommends thinning the peppers for larger fruit size. I've never done that with a pepper, and I wouldn't have he heart since I rarely get more than a few per plant.

HEIRLOOM. Burpee introduced.
Full Description
Sweet Chinese Giant was twice as big as the largest bell pepper of its day. Plants are a compact 24" tall. Fruits are usually 4 by 4", but Mr. Burpee pointed out that if you thin the fruits, they can grow 5" across and 6" long. Truly remarkable then and now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaJB View Post
Thought I'd take a minute and share my experience with Chinese Giant. I've never had luck with bell peppers in the ground or in containers, until now. Since I've read posts from others over the years stating their frustration with bells as well, I decided to post a pick of the plant I have currently. The pot is only 10" so I'm guessing that may impact size of the peppers. Haven't had a ripe one yet so will have to wait to find out. Including tiny ones starting out I have about 10 growing on this plant.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2016   #7
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

That makes sense greenthumbomaha. But like you I don't think I have the heart to thin the peppers out. I'll probably just be using them for a pizza topping or maybe omelets. I think the size will be stunted as the first ones haven't gotten much bigger than in the picture yet. If this plant lasts as long as my Elephant's Ear, maybe I can test out the thinning method.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'll update when I have more to share.

Last edited by OmahaJB; July 9, 2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old July 23, 2016   #8
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

This is the first one I've picked so far. The size didn't increase much from the first pic, mostly due to lack of fertilizer, but also partly due to the fact I didn't thin them out. It was nice and juicy, with decent mild flavor. When I originally posted I wasn't even thinking about the other two Chinese Giant plants I have. I'll try the thinning method with them, and next time I'm shopping I'll buy some fertilizer. Once I know how many seeds I've saved I'll try coming back and offering seeds to those who want some, and will post in the seeds available forum probably.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChineseGiant(b).jpg (100.8 KB, 194 views)
Old July 23, 2016   #9
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Glad you finally got to taste one. Hummm not so much of a giant was it. I wonder if thinning really has much impact in growing bigger bells. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought especially bells only produced so many fruits per plant and that a low number and if you thin, you may not have any fruits. I've grown bells before like Keystone Giant and don't think they even got as large as your Chinese Giant.

I've grown several types of sweets and had no problem with them. There is just something about bells. Like there is some sort of secret procedure to get them to grow and produce.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2016   #10
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Glad you finally got to taste one. Hummm not so much of a giant was it. I wonder if thinning really has much impact in growing bigger bells. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought especially bells only produced so many fruits per plant and that a low number and if you thin, you may not have any fruits. I've grown bells before like Keystone Giant and don't think they even got as large as your Chinese Giant.

I've grown several types of sweets and had no problem with them. There is just something about bells. Like there is some sort of secret procedure to get them to grow and produce.
Yes, it was a small one, the others on the same plant are even smaller and a couple are turning red so they wont be getting bigger either. From what I understand with containers I'll need to focus more on fertilizing than I have been.

I'm also growing Yellow Monster, but it's more of a pipsqueak, not sure how big it'll get. Another one needing more fertilizer. Learning as I go. I used slow release fertilizer but it must have been used up by the time the peppers and tomatoes started growing.
Old July 23, 2016   #11
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Yellow Monster also; it is just a really young plant so no fruit set. I bought the seeds b/c I wanted a Yellow Monster; also growing Emerald Giant for the same reason.

I get really decent size bells from Charleston Bells. There is nothing special to grow them.

I had really big Ajvarski peppers - like a mix between a Bell and Marconi.

I get really large Marconi's but am finding right now with the heat, they are all smaller. All still producing; vs tomatoes pulled in June with no fruit set since May.

Right now I'm having lots of spoilage from what looks like a bug bite. Haven't sprayed; also haven't grown this many peppers EVER.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2016   #12
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Barb, do you grow in containers or in the ground? I've heard containers are better for them, and maybe that's why I finally have had good production. I never had luck with growing them in the ground, Just have to make adjustments to get larger peppers.

I'll keep the ones you mentioned in mind for the future.
Old July 27, 2016   #13
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

I'll post this here first, then if there are no takers will post in the seed offer forum. I've dried and bagged the seeds from the first Chinese Giant pepper, if I counted right 270 (or 275?) seeds, and have seeds from the second pepper drying now. Anyone interested PM me and I'll send seeds out to at least five people. It may take a few days before I get around to it, but they'll be posted within the next week for sure. Nothing needed in return. Figured those reading this thread would be the ones most interested in the first place, so that's why I posting it here first.
Old July 28, 2016   #14
Calcat36
Tomatovillian™

I would be happy to grow some of your saved seeds next summer if you are willing to share them. I grew them a few years ago in large black pots I got from local landscapers that just threw them out. I used Neptune's harvest fertilizer exclusively and often as peppers are nutrient hogs. (I have no affiliation with that company.)

I start pepper seeds in December and January in Massachusetts so that is when I would start your seeds for the following season.

I too, had never really had any luck with bells but my experience with growing super hot peppers has changed all of that!

PM me if you are interested in a companion grow out of your seeds.
Calcat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016   #15
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaJB View Post
Barb, do you grow in containers or in the ground? I've heard containers are better for them, and maybe that's why I finally have had good production. I never had luck with growing them in the ground, Just have to make adjustments to get larger peppers.

I'll keep the ones you mentioned in mind for the future.
Sorry, I never saw this until now. I grow all peppers / tomatoes in containers (nematodes). Peppers are very forgiving and year round for me in Florida; Mainly RootPouches, but Walmart Bags, and have a set in EB too.

Was also thinking of the "GIANT" aspect and I have Marconi Giants and even before the weather was really hot (90), they were smaller than regular Marconis.
The "GIANT" is the smaller one and has a rounded tip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marconi vs Giant Marconi.jpg (47.3 KB, 144 views)
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote