Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 6, 2020   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Today's Pickin's

Today's pickings: At least the Early Girls (in the front) are sizing up. Behind them are three of the real Early Annies and that yellow is the Fake Early Annie. The little oblong one next to the other Fake Annie is Ten Fingers of Naples. They grow like cherry tomatoes with 5-6 to the truss.

Those five Millionaire eggplant came off one plant. Gotta make more of that new eggplant casserole we really like. Then there are the last oddball cukes and assorted tomatoes. And the first two okra. The one on the left is new-to-me Cajun Jewel and the one on the right is that smooth Choppee. I did last year. Guess I'll have to wait to get enough to do a taste test.

So far the leader in the Most Tomatoes At One Time category is still Rio Grande, a paste. I counted 28 on there today. Some are hiding behind others. It did well last year and earned a spot for this year. I think it's earned permanent status. The hunt for a good paste 'mater is probably over. The other contenders this year, all new to me, are the Early Annie, Mom' s Paste (setting few tomatoes) and Ten Fingers Of Naples which has the BER problem.

Yesterday the Blue Lake beans got their last picking and were pulled out. It was a good decision as there were very few baby beans and no more flowers.

Today the cuke plants got pulled and yes, it was confirmed that the yellowing was due to nematodes. The roots were all knotted up. Nothing was planned for that bed this fall so I think I'll plant some brassicas in there for fall and again in spring to see what that does to the 'tode population. It seems to help in that regard and so another test, this time in a different bed.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2020   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

GoDawgs,

Looks like a very efficient and productive setup.

Is the summer Georgia heat killing off your Cuke plants?

My tomatoes and cukes are just starting in Harvest mode. Peppers will take a while longer...

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2020   #3
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

It's not the heat that's killing the cuke plants but the root knot nematodes are. When the leaves started getting pale despite regular fertilizing and then turning light yellow, I knew the 'todes were at work. Sure enough, when the plants were pulled yesterday the roots were all knotted up.

I have a 4' wide trellis in another part of the garden with a a young cuke plant on it that has three small cukes set on it. They'll be ready in a few more days. Meanwhile, I started two more plants from seed and will set up a trellis for them. The pickling is done but it's always nice to have for fresh eating.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote