Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old October 23, 2019   #1
shule1

Default Mustard Bhutlah (black, orange-ripening variant)

So, I'm tasting what was supposed to be a Mustard Bhutlah, but it had black on its leaves and fruit (anthocyanin), and ripened orange. It was earlier, more vigorous, and more prolific than the regular Mustard Bhutlah beside it. The fruits are somewhat smaller than those of the regular Mustard Bhutlah.

Anyway, the flavor is kind of normal for a hot pepper (not citrusy or fruity, but there is a sugary taste), but the way the heat feels is very different. It feels good! It's kind of like how soda pop hurts, but it feels good, except more intense than that. It's still heat, but it's not unpleasant. It seems like it would go really awesomely in chili. It's quite hot. The heat lingers for a long time, and only very, very gradually drops off, like it doesn't want to let go. I've only eaten a few small parts of it so far (so, it's probably truly a superhot).

Here it is cut in half and seeded, and some uncut fruits for display. (The fruits lose their blackness as they get riper. The ripe ones are pure orange.) I think this is the first fruit to have set. I harvested it a while ago now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191023_005520.jpg (106.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191023_012203.jpg (54.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191023_012246.jpg (52.8 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by shule1; October 23, 2019 at 09:13 PM.
Old October 23, 2019   #2
shule1

I just took a larger bite (but still not loads of it), and yeah, that hurts more. It gave me burping hiccups right away. Nose started running soon after, and tears while I was blowing my nose.

No sweating yet, as I sweat with the Carolina Reaper, though. My forehead and body feels pretty cool. It's just my mouth that's hot. I mostly feel it on my tongue. The initial burst did affect my throat as well as my tongue. I feel it a bit on my lips and gums (under my front teeth that bit the pepper).

I think I'll eat the rest of it cut up with burritos and sour cream, as soon as I come back from blowing my nose a fourth time or so.

I wouldn't say it's as hot as the Carolina Reaper, but it's hot. Maybe I might change my mind if I ate the rest plain, though, but yeah, I'm hungry.

I'm eating the burritos now. The soda-style heat is pretty good with them. The sour cream cools it a lot. (Sour cream and cheese are both pretty good at that.)

I finished the food.

I'd guess it's between 600k SHU and 1,500k SHU. A less ripe one without the sugary taste might be hotter, as sometimes happens.

All in all, it has pleasant culinary properties (which you might not notice if you were to eat the whole pepper in one bite), and I'm very happy about it. I guess it did add some taste to the burritos, but it's mostly the soda-type feeling. Some people might describe it as a citrus taste, but it's not like the citrus taste I've had in most other citrusy tasting peppers. The soda-type feeling is also kind of like the feeling of orange peel oil/juice on your tongue (it lingers a long time, too).

The peppers don't dry very fast (compared to say Aji Habanero).

Last edited by shule1; October 23, 2019 at 04:16 AM.
Old October 23, 2019   #3
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

LOL!!!

It's best to eat superhots in moderation in dishes or tame it down making hot sauces. For me it's all about flavor not heat but it seems the more heat you eat the more you want once you get used to it.
Old October 24, 2019   #4
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Your pepper shape looks more scorpion-like than Bhutlah (ghost). If it is scorpion, or some such cross with scorpion in it, it should be hotter than a Bhutlah.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2019   #5
shule1

Maybe. Only two or three of the fruits were like that. I'm not sure where the anthocyanin came from, though.

I have some regular Mustard Bhutlahs for comparison to eat. Haven't done it, yet, though. Here's what they look like (they start yellow, eventually turn a greenish color that I think they call mustard, and then they develop a little bit of orange after a while, but that's not pictured).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190928_194233.jpg (70.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190831_131002.jpg (72.1 KB, 33 views)
Old October 24, 2019   #6
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I'd say it's a wanna be Pepper X that's green/mustard. The new fake trend of the hottest pepper in the world.

I grew Big Mustard Mamma's last year and they will go yellow if you leave them on the plant too long. BUT they sold those peppers as Pepper X and these came from Troy Primo.

It's a money game that faded out this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2711.jpg (233.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3378.jpg (228.2 KB, 30 views)
Old October 25, 2019   #7
shule1

Huh. I don't know about trends and Pepper X's association with the mustard color, but I think mustard peppers are pretty cool. The Chocolate Bhutlah is supposed to be significantly hotter than the Mustard Bhutlah, though. I got the Mustard one because I figured it was the least expensive superhot, and so maybe it was easy to grow and get lots of seeds. Well, it did turn out to be pretty easy to grow (much easier than regular Habaneros, anyway). I'm not sure how seedy it is, yet.

Mine don't turn yellow, though. They start yellow (instead of green) and turn green-ish/mustard when ripe, and when extra ripe they get a bit of orange on them (but not all over). Here's where I got them.

Do you mean Mustard Bhutlahs in general or my Mustard Bhutlah specifically, or all mustard-ripening peppers?

The black ones start green (with black on them) and turn orange (without much, if any, black on them), however. The black ones are never yellow.

Nice pictures!

Last edited by shule1; October 25, 2019 at 02:59 AM.
Old October 25, 2019   #8
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

The pepper X thing has a long history of dissapointments, read some of these.

https://buypepperxseeds.tumblr.com/

https://www.heraldonline.com/news/lo...178278561.html

Go down to post 51.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/66905-...missing/page-3

As far as mustard colored peppers it's hard to say exactly what you have because of the many crosses scattered around then picked up by seed companies.

This is from post 26 of the above thread.
My friend Chad crossed a chocolate bhut and a douglah. steven grew some of the seeds out and then crossed it with a trinidad scorpion he says. There are several variations of the bhutlah that i have from chad, jack and steven. Bhutlah Cheesehead is one. Bhutlah SM another. Bhutlah CS Bhutlah JC they are abbreviations for peoples names. Not that complicated to figure out. Ed Currie was given seeds and grew it out for a few years in large numbers before seeds were sold. You also have Bhutlah PL and this dave minor guy claims to have his own version too. That pepper got hyped up and blown out before anyone got to grow it really.
Old October 26, 2019   #9
shule1

I'm still unclear as to the relation between Mustard Bhutlah and Pepper X. I'm familiar with Pepper X and some of its controversy already, but I haven't delved too deeply into researching it.

I'm not too partial about it being the true Mustard Bhutlah, either, although that's great to know that there are so many kinds (the company I got it from did admit that it probably wasn't an entirely stable variety; they didn't think my off-type could have been a cross, due to their growing and handling procedures or something). As long as it's a C. chinense pepper that is extremely hot and grows well in the north in my soil, and as long as I know where I got it from, and enjoy it, I'm happy about it. Most of the C. chinense peppers I've tried have not produced here, let alone so early and in the ground. I'm happier about the off-type than the regular one, actually, as it's earlier, more prolific, and more vigorous. Plus, orange superhots aren't something I've seen a lot (although I imagine they're not terribly rare); same for superhots with visible anthocyanin on their stems, fruits and leaves (except that probably is a lot more rare).

Aji Dulce 1 and Orange Carbonero produced well here, too, though, but Aji Dulce 1 was quite late, and I started Orange Carbonero extra early (I just started the Mustard Bhutlahs the regular time, along with my tomatoes and other pepper species). You'd think Aji Dulce 1 would be C. baccatum, but sites say it's C. chinense. I've gotten a few fruits on a few other C. chinense plants, but these are the only ones (besides the two Mustard Bhutlah types) that have impressed me (granted, they're not superhots; Aji Dulce 1 is about as mild as it gets; Orange Carbonero is maybe 75k SHU).