Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old April 18, 2011   #1
texasweed
Tomatovillian™

Default Dr. Carroll ? Sweet 100 F1 vs Sweet 100 OP.

Ok I have moved other than saving seeds from Sweet 100 OP, can Sweet 100 F1 be changed to Sweet 100 OP?

The reason I ask is because i have moved and do not have access to Sweet 100 OP seed stock other than plants I brought from TX. I like the flavor of the OP version better than F1.

Is it best to just re-use the seeds from OP?

Yeah I know it is a dumb question, but getting old. I assume the fermentation process?
texasweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2011   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasweed View Post
Ok I have moved other than saving seeds from Sweet 100 OP, can Sweet 100 F1 be changed to Sweet 100 OP?

The reason I ask is because i have moved and do not have access to Sweet 100 OP seed stock other than plants I brought from TX. I like the flavor of the OP version better than F1.

Is it best to just re-use the seeds from OP?

Yeah I know it is a dumb question, but getting old. I assume the fermentation process?

If Dr. Carroll refers to me, then Carolyn, who might be the same, suggsts that you use the OP seeds you already have.

I assume you saved them without fermenting but that's OK, just soak them overnight in water and sow inside the next day.

BTW how old are those OP seeds? Best to know b'c if they're too old then I need to suggest something you need to add to that water soak.
Old April 18, 2011   #3
texasweed
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn137 my bad, you are the one I am looking for. Right now I have some last year seeds saved from fermentation process.. But due to some freeze damage and moving far away from TX I had to replace a couple of plants with F1 hybrids and wondered if they can be converted to 100 OP?

I have a few of the original OP's in the greenhouse and afraid of moving them out here in Prescott until May. It is fricking cold in AZ.
Old April 18, 2011   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasweed View Post
Carolyn137 my bad, you are the one I am looking for. Right now I have some last year seeds saved from fermentation process.. But due to some freeze damage and moving far away from TX I had to replace a couple of plants with F1 hybrids and wondered if they can be converted to 100 OP?

I have a few of the original OP's in the greenhouse and afraid of moving them out here in Prescott until May. It is fricking cold in AZ.
http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_...tem_no=PS10689

It would take many years to dehybridize Sweet 100 to an OP version and such an OP version already exists.

The link above is to Seeds of Change and Peacevine is the name of the OP version .

Hope that helps.
Old April 18, 2011   #5
texasweed
Tomatovillian™

Hey thanks. Funny name, but the description is point blank
Old May 14, 2011   #6
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Just wanted to quickly pipe in that there are, in fact, quite a few selections from the hybrid Sweet 100 that have resulted in an OP, stable or otherwise. One of the better ones is Alan Kapuler's Peacevine, another is Ken Allan's Rideau Cherry. Ken's Portland Cherry is less a match for the hybrid but I don't think that Ken was actually selecting for a match, but rather a resulting worthy OP from a popular hybrid, a good cross. Two varieties under the unfortunate and, some would argue, technically incorrect moniker of "Sweet 100 OP" are in commercial circulation here in the True North. Neither are a match for the F1 (one "producer-breeder" claims that Sweet 100 is not actually a hybrid) and one is not fully stable, or wasn't when I did extensive side-by-side grow-outs of hybrids and their "OP versions" back in 2006.

Good luck with your version of Sweet 100.

Jennifer, who has a sweet spot for Ken Allan's Brandywine x Sweet 100
Old May 14, 2011   #7
organichris
Tomatovillian™

I grew what I think was called Super Sweet 100 a few years back. My understanding was that it was a hybrid. It was an excellent producer, and the sweet cherry tomatoes were delicious, although the skin was a bit tough.

Here locally I saw an offering of a plant that was called Sweet 100 OP. Supposedly it isn't as sweet as the hybrid. I didn't buy it, but I thought it was curious.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote