Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 10, 2007   #16
landarc
Tomatovillian™

The brush method is useful in some cases. Roundup is a systemic and works best in foliar application. The general BMP would be to cut back the plant to a very manageable size that would allow for enough foliage to encourage uptake of the chemical. Use a focused spray and apply it to the tops and bottoms of the leaves on a windless day. Early morning is prime. After a period of three to four days, cut off the canes (vines) and remove the plant to below the crown. Roundup will drift as an aerosol only. It will not enter the soil from a undamaged root system. Goats are good though.

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2007   #17
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

Lots of different views here! The problem with neighbors is they don't tell you it is being done! I am going to talk to them when they get home and if the lawn care people come first I will talk to them, meanwhile i am going to just go clip the kudzu back as far as I can!
kelleyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2007   #18
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Quote:
meanwhile i am going to just go clip the kudzu back as far as I can!
As you know be very careful! I suggest tethering yourself to the porch...
Kudzu grows so fast in the South, you might not find your way back out of the
density of vines!

Seriously though, NCSU has done a number of studdies to determine good ways
of killing off Kudzu. Some involved sprays, some involved goat rotations to try
and starve the roots of all energy. Needless to say... they still have the Kudzu
growing back where they've tested.....

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2007   #19
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all! Yes herbicide would be better, pardon my use of the word pesticide! Pesticide = poison to me so I used it wrongly!

My neighbor two doors down was told by a tree removal guy to get a goat! I am calling to see if I can have a goat here even though the kudzu is not in my yard. My next door neighbors yard crosses the creek and looks like it belongs to me. I usually tend the area though so I am getting out there with clippers and something not sure what and see if I can find where it originates, it is coming out of the bank of the creek somewhere!

The tomatoes I was referring to are those silly seeds that came out of a red egg and were called Flower Pot Tomatoes...after reading the package they are called Pakmor, and after reading the information available for Pakmor I can't see the claim coming true LOL. The leaves always look horrible! They curl up, they curl down, they roll, they are very thick almost leathery though-they j ust always look like something is wrong with them!

Ok these pictures represent different tomato plants, some mine some hers...the one with the baseball was several weeks ago and the tomato is much larger now! The second picture was after I got her plants dirt wet! I had to bring them over to my house so that I could water them three and four times a day. There is new growth on all of these, and they all have tomatoes, new tomatoes, and flowers. I think they may just be ugly in the leaf department ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garden and wildlife 010.jpg (186.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg garden and wildlife 014.jpg (170.7 KB, 13 views)
Old July 11, 2007   #20
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyville View Post
The leaves always look horrible! They curl up, they curl down, they roll, they are very thick almost leathery though-they j ust always look like something is wrong with them!
Wait til you grow an Oxheart like Brad's Black Heart or Perito's Italian or Sarnowski Polish Plum. The leaves are so wispy and thin, the plants always look a few gallons short on water.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]

Last edited by feldon30; July 11, 2007 at 03:13 PM.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2007   #21
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

Ok so there is not necessarily anything wrong with these plants? just a tomato plant that always looks like it needs something? LOL Will let you know what the tomato tastes like, I have my first one ripening now! Unless these are just wonderful tomatoes I will not grow them again because they scare me to death will all thier signs of illness
Old July 11, 2007   #22
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Please, it's called Perito Italian, not Perito's Italian. And even Perito Italian looks healthy compared to White Oxheart for wispy and droopy. I kept checking to see if White Oxheart was really as wilted as it looked. It was hard to believe that such a wimpy-looking plant could get so big (over 6 feet).

I used Roundup along a fence line recently and I am seeing no evidence of any spray drift. I did pick a time when there was no wind and I carefully sprayed very close to the ground because there are several pepper plants and a cherry tomato 2-3 feet away. Those plants are not showing any ill effects from the Roundup at all. But spraying the top of a tall vine from higher up might have a different result because the overspray will come down on other plants beneath it even with no wind.

If the plants in the pics all have healthy new growth, I wouldn't worry too much.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote