Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 14, 2018   #1
gimmieToms
Tomatovillian™

Default Fertilizer burned seedlings HELP

So I fertilized my seedlings about 5-6 days ago, and gave them a little more, which was a huge mistake.
They were ok, but looked a little wilted after 3 days, but otherwise looked great. I put them outside 2 days ago, and today they look like this. Some worse than others. I attached photos of the worst. I gave them a good flush a few hours ago, but have I lost these? I’m so mad at myself.
Are they salvageable?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A486987A-DF67-4299-AC20-E0855550F4C2.jpg (563.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 0EC68094-95AA-4464-ACD5-98EFFBC4FA11.jpg (416.4 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 4E44C305-A50A-4647-8AD0-F38C1F6830D9.jpg (398.3 KB, 88 views)
gimmieToms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018   #2
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

That isn't from fertilizer, that is sun burn. They need to start out in shade or small amounts of sun and increased gradually.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018   #3
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Totally sun scald. Not fertilizer burn. They will recover.
BTW- what fertilizer did you use?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018   #4
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Those plants look great except for the sun scald.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018   #5
gimmieToms
Tomatovillian™

Oh ok. Unfortunately my grow lights are at the top of my house and bringing them in and out every day for a few hours with a baby and toddler just wasn’t gonna happen. I normally just put them out. Only rarely has this ever happened. This is about 2-3 weeks earlier than I normally put them outside, but the weather has been lovely.
So they should make a full recovery?
Old May 14, 2018   #6
gimmieToms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Totally sun scald. Not fertilizer burn. They will recover.
BTW- what fertilizer did you use?
Miracle grow for tomatoes. Once they take off I add fish emulsion once a week also. I’ve had great success with it. Some hate it, but it was recommended to me by another tomato grower and I’ve used it every year since. Grows fabulous plants.
Old May 14, 2018   #7
gimmieToms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
Those plants look great except for the sun scald.
Thanks. I hope they recover ok.
Old May 14, 2018   #8
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

The same thing happened to me this year. I got arrogant after 3 years of easy hardening off of my plants, but this year was a lesson in being patient with putting your seedlings out into the harsh sunshine. Mine have recovered but I didn't have any "trophy" plants for glamorous pictures of perfect plants.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018   #9
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I have the same problem since I am not retired and have to go to work and leave them in one place all day. I put them in a wagon, lol. I put them out on the north side of the house for a few days, wheel them in at night if needed or carry in a few boxes with many plants in each box. Sides of boxes needs to be cut down and fairly low so they are exposed. After a few days if I see no damage I move them to the east side so they only get morning sun. After a few more days I try a couples hours of full afternoon sun on the South side, and if all is well, for one day I put them in South sun, leave them out and check on them a few times during the day. If all is well they are ready to go into the garden. If they are wilting, need water, or don't seem to be thriving I give them some shade. You can always throw a light cover over them to keep more sun off until you are ready to give them more sun again. If you have a Tree that provides good shade from afternoon sun that would be a possibility also. This is not fail proof but it has worked for me every year execpt one. If it is going to be windy, keep them under cover if you can't check on them! Lost most of my plants to one windy day while i was at work and they were dried out and wind burned when I got home.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018   #10
nyrfan
Tomatovillian™

Sun scald for sure.

Re: fertilizer... a little less is better than too much!
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote