Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old December 22, 2008   #1
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Default goose poop question

I live close to a beautiful park.

We have lots of resident Canada geese is our town. Eight of them have started landing in the park and I am amazed at how much poop they leave behind. Now I understand when I read about infestations of geese in neighborhoods and golf courses.

I was wondering if their poop was hot and needed to be composted or something that could be used around living plants right now. I was thinking of collecting some to put in my compost piles, or pushing aside some leaves and digging it into my garden beds.

Anyone who can advise me? Is there anything else I need to take into consideration?
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2008   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Everything I could find on goose poop says it is a very good composter and equates to other poultry litter. That means hot and needs to be composted before application. The popularity of goose poop is growing because of the ease of composting and the excellent nutrient content.
Old December 22, 2008   #3
BrianS
Tomatovillian™

I use turkey manure on my garden and I put it on in the Fall so by Spring it isnt "too hot". You would be ok if you put it on your garden now and let it set all Winter
Old December 23, 2008   #4
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

I keep a flock of African geese here and I use the manure in my compost pile. Their winter manure is not as "hot", since they are eating only grain and no vegetation but can still burn.

Ditto for my peacocks and the peahens. The peafowl droppings are so hot that they kill anything that tries to grow along the edge of their enclosures.

I can till the manure from my sheep and goat directly into the soil in both growing areas, since it's not nearly as high in nitrogen as the others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGA0045.JPG (471.9 KB, 32 views)

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2009   #5
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

If you have pets you should be careful doing this because wild bird poop often has parasites and potentially disease. :0)
Old January 2, 2009   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Sorry, I read the thread and "Little Goose Poop" being sung by the Beach Boys sprang into my head. It won't happen again.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote