Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old April 26, 2014   #16
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Sand Hill Preservation has seeds for 3 or 4 kinds of cotton. I am overnight soaking some as we speak. Darn things are so fluffy they just want to float on top. They will go in pots, so I probably should have started them a month ago.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2014   #17
FaithHopeLove
Tomatovillian™

Interesting, I didn't know your not allowed to grow cotton in FL....
FaithHopeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2014   #18
kurt
Tomatovillian™

http://law.onecle.com/florida/agricu...hapter593.html I was stunned(not at the post,but the regulation) to hear that in the above early post,so I did some investigation.
It is not illegal to grow cotton in FL.You have to abide by certain Boll Weavel eradication statutes,reporting of growing of cotton,not growing in "quarantine"zones,and even paying for inspectors to monitor.So with that being said I am guilty of breaking that rule.All I can say is I grow two or three a year,have never seen any weevils.do grow all my plants inside a screened in pool enclosure right next to probly 4-5 other illegal non monitered plants.Reminds me of the citrus canker eradication when chain saw welding crews were jumping fences and chopping down all the citrus in Dade County years back to no avail and they ended up paying homeowners restitution for lost non infected trees.(I included).

Last edited by kurt; April 26, 2014 at 08:12 AM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote