Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old October 19, 2006   #1
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Default Apple Seed ~

Hey everyone ...
Hope you've had a good
season ; or are starting one!

I have a couple questions regarding apple seeds:

My Dad was down in Cape May NJ last week, and
next to the house they stay is an
old apple tree. He's been picking the apples
from this tree and eats them for years now!
He likes them so much he brought a basket back with him! (Greeks, lol, there was this other time we stayed in a hotel that was next to a fig tree; ohhh the stories, lol !)

Anyway, this weekend my little brother is
coming down with a number of fruits for me and my Dad wants me to try and GROW a tree from these seeds !

Ok your opinions wanted as I know what I'm
up against here (kinda) :

1. Because its an older variety of tree (non-hybrid) , could I possibly get the same tree/fruit from the seed ?

2. If its an isolated tree - could it be possible that its uncrossed ?

3. Should I just take a fall cutting / root tone etc. and try it that way (fruit would come quicker right?) ?

4. How WOULD I start a tree from fresh apple seed ?

5. How long from seed to mature tree would produce fruit , if any at all ?

He wants to plant these trees all over their yard up in N. NJ . From what I remember, they taste really good for a "wild apple" so it def. has my interest.
Any input from the TVille crew would be great ...
Thanks ~

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2006   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Oh lord here we go.
Hang with me,
Answers are in order of questions.

(1) Yes if there is a pollinator of the same type of tree, you have to have a pollinator somewhere around there or so I was raised to believe.
(2) Answered above.
(3) You would be better off grafting to a bigger tree and trimming the other branches when the grafts art established.
(4) Plant the thing about 1” in the ground.
(5) About 10 years (or less) if your lucky, go back to grafting, but it WILL produce fruit, if you have a pollinator.
My Dad did this stuff all of the time.
I hope this helps.
Ok so Keith has a slightly different opinion but basically the same info, he beat me to it. :wink:

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2006   #3
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Guys ~

Keith first:

K: possibly, any clue to if it was grafted?

re. I found out the tree is not as old as I thought ...
Its prob. in between 15 - 20 yrs. old - to me ? sounds like grafted material ~

K: But since apples have been cloned (grafted) for so long here in the US you dont always know that the plant will do from seed.

re: my worst fears are coming to light ...
I'd bet I have a grafted apple tree seeds ~

K:
You can do this (I think early summer cuttings are better) but often some of these varieties dont do as well unless grafted unto a rootstock (but not always). It wouldnt be wrong and you would gain a year or two. But first few years you want to concern yourself with shape and future grawth rather than fruit production.

RE: Kindof good news - I didn't want to drive 3 hrs for a fall cutting that may not work ! lol ~ There's so many chapters re: the shaping of the trees ; lol ~ I'm sure I'm a year or two away from that !

K: Most need a cold period to help germination. You can either store it in a frig for several months and plant in the spring OR simply sow them in a pots now. put the pots in the ground, with top exposed, and mulch them with a layer of leaves (prevent hard freezing or drying) and let nature do it's thing (keeping it moist throughout winter as needed).

RE: Would a cold shed or garage work ? worried about mice etc. ~

K: generally 5 years (it could be as early as 3 or late as 7). Most times crops are not encouraged at age three but rather shaping of the tree structure when it's that young.

RE: I started a lemon tree from seed in 2002 ...
Its trunk keeps getting bigger because I put it outside every summer ... The leaves smell awesome ... but no lemons ... much different but kind of the same - as these fruiting trees neeed TIME to mature to produce fruit ~

K: It should be very easy to do Tom good luck!

RE: Thanks Keith ~
I'm thinking it can't be all that hard ; if I started Carolyns "maryann" tomato seed from 1992 a fresh seed shouldn't be so hard !
I should start a bunch though right ?
Select from there ?

~ Tom
Old October 19, 2006   #4
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Now Worth ~

W: Yes if there is a pollinator of the same type of tree, you have to have a pollinator somewhere around there or so I was raised to believe.

re: you need another apple tree in the area to polinate an apple tree right ? they are not OP correct ?

W: (3) You would be better off grafting to a bigger tree and trimming the other branches when the grafts art established.

re: what have you had luck with: spring or fall cuttings ?

W: Plant the thing about 1” in the ground.

re: plant it outside for stratification > ok ~

W: About 10 years (or less) if your lucky, go back to grafting, but it WILL produce fruit, if you have a pollinator.
re: I'm going to need a bunch of these homemade trees if I don't graft right ?

W: My Dad did this stuff all of the time.
re: wish my Dad did ! lol ~

W: I hope this helps.
re: does very much Worth ... thanks ~

~ Tom

ps. I know you say erbs ~ I can just hear it now ~ lol ~
Old October 19, 2006   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Graft in the spring like Keith said that way the wood will grow together.

Re: you need another apple tree in the area to pollinate an apple tree right? They are not OP correct?

No they are not but you can get trees that are grafted with 2 different kinds of apples and then you only have to plant one.
But who only wants one apple tree?

I think this is the best way to go I will swear by these guys and now is the time to order.
Strange, they used to have root stock now they have potted plants. (the root stock was cheaper)
If you need any help with this subject just let me know, I have planted A LOT OF TREES and taken care of them.
ps These guys are so good you could send them an apple and they could tell you what it is, no joke.
Worth

http://www.starkbros.com/
Old October 19, 2006   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This reminds me, I need to order some trees (Peach trees) from them.

Worth
Old October 19, 2006   #7
BrokenAppleTree
CHOPTAG™

Hey Tom,
If you goto Cummins Nursery, http://www.cumminsnursery.com/ they have some root stock if they're not out for the season. I got 10 apple trees from them 2 years ago and all have grown very very well (except for the one that was severely pruned by the deer this spring).
I'm going to have to weigh in on the from seed portion. If you plant from seed, you have no idea what you are going to get. The best comparison is people, you have no clue what a man and a woman's child will look like. It's the same thing with apple seed. That being said I have two "chance" seedlings growing in my front yard. Had plenty of room and lots of time. Whoever said ten years to maturity is most likely right (again you really have no clue what you're going to get so it could be sooner).
My neighbor has an apple tree she grew from seed, it makes the ugliest, buggiest apple you've ever seen. But, if you can find a good spot, it's one of the crunchiest, sweetest apples I've tasted.
A favorite topic of mine,
Best Regards,
Brian
BrokenAppleTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2006   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Hi Tom
So you don’t get confused I have to agree with what Brian said, you have no idea what kind of apple you will get.
Just like planting a tomato seed from a store bought tomato.
That apple seed is a hybrid by nature.
I don’t know why I didn’t mention it before.

Worth
Old October 20, 2006   #9
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Hey Brian,
I'm going to try to sow a number of seedling for fun ... why not ? Could get lucky like your neighbor ...
The duds could always develope in bonsai projects ~ :wink:

But hey guys, shoudl I wait until the spring to tell my dad that I had a miracle happen while sprouting his apple seeds ?(aka me buying a few trees from the vendors you guys have listed above?)
Or is there enough time for the tranplant to take now in the fall ?

~ Tom
Old October 20, 2006   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Tom
You might be better off calling your county extension agent on the best time to plant a fruit tree in your area.
It’s an investment buying trees and the information I can give you would be from growing trees in MO and OK which is a little farther south than NJ.

As for the link I sent you I have found out that they have been bought by some conglomerate and have read some complaints on them as far as service is concerned.

I guess I’m just living in the past, ‘now where’s that Hudson dealership at, ‘I know it was around here some place, ‘I need to get my car serviced.

Worth
Old October 27, 2006   #11
chemocurl
Tomatovillian™

Have you tried or thought of trying to identify what variety of apple it is? Possibly some professional grower at an orchard could identify it....and then you could proceed with finding that variety to purchase.

Just a thought.

Sue
chemocurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2006   #12
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

It really looks like a "wild red delicious" ...
you know ? they are just not shiny like store bought ~

Tom