Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 26, 2018   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Tonopah Tomato

I just received my shipment from Seeds N Such. Tonopah hybrid tomato was a gift https://www.seedsnsuch.com/product/t...id-tomato-vff/
I'm wondering if any of you all have grown this variety and what to expect?

I'm also thinking that Seeds N Such may be sending others this variety, so I started a thread about it.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2018   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Well, Robert, Tonopah is very close to Area 51. Maybe it will be a lure for aliens.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2018   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Woohoo, Alien fishin' bait.
Old December 27, 2018   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

When I first joined Tomatoville, I couldn't stand the thought of hybrids. I didn't realize that all plants started off as hybrids, but they did. Some did millions of years ago. They grew and adapted themselves without our help to become OP. To me, "Heirloom" is a man-made way of looking at things.

Just something to think about.
Old December 27, 2018   #5
creeker
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I just received my shipment from Seeds N Such. Tonopah hybrid tomato was a gift https://www.seedsnsuch.com/product/t...id-tomato-vff/
I'm wondering if any of you all have grown this variety and what to expect?

I'm also thinking that Seeds N Such may be sending others this variety, so I started a thread about it.
Got it, will try this year.
creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2019   #6
creeker
Tomatovillian™

Planted my 5 or 6 free seeds, they are so small I lost at least one, Got 5 good plants and transplanted them sometime in mid June, about the time the heat turned up to 95 to 100 degrees plus every day for about 2 months. They all thrived in the heat, bloomed in August and produced in September and October. One was planted in a good spot and yielded many 8 to 10 oz tomatoes. The others were in a semi shady area and didn't do as well, but the 2 in the second best area produced several very good ones. The best thing about these is that they are very meaty inside (reminds me of Prudens Purple that way). They are also quite decent tasting for hybrids. I have an extra packet of free seed and will order more for 2000.
Old October 27, 2019   #7
creeker
Tomatovillian™

Planted my 5 or 6 free seeds, they are so small I lost at least one, Got 5 good plants and transplanted them sometime in mid June, about the time the heat turned up to 95 to 100 degrees plus every day for about 2 months. They all thrived in the heat, bloomed in August and produced in September and October. One was planted in a good spot and yielded many 8 to 10 oz tomatoes. The others were in a semi shady area and didn't do as well, but the 2 in the second best area produced several very good ones. The best thing about these is that they are very meaty inside (reminds me of Prudens Purple that way). They are also quite decent tasting for hybrids. I have an extra packet of free seed and will order more for 2000.
Old October 28, 2019   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Good tasting hybrids is cool.
Old February 27, 2020   #9
awillie
Tomatovillian™

I live in Phoenix. Started as seeds on January 2nd and transplanted a week ago. Plants(2) has doubled in size and look healthy. Good to hear reports that they taste good.
awillie is offline   Reply With Quote