Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 11, 2019   #1
Mr Tickle
Tomatovillian™

Default Good low light tomatoes

We are having a very grey year here and I was wondering if anyone can recommend me a productive and great tasting tomato that can supply even in the darkest summers.
Any shape or colour will be gladly welcomed!
Thanks
Tickle
Mr Tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2019   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The smaller cherry type tomatoes seem to do better in low light.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2019   #3
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

In full field, so not too much extra shade, any tomato should do fine in the summer if decently spaced.
The good old Moneymaker is quite adapted to darker weather. And Stupice as well.

And as Worth says, cherries surely are not as picky with conditions.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2019   #4
Mr Tickle
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys, will halve my greenhouse with cherries!
Mr Tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2019   #5
shule1

Moneymaker is probably a nice suggestion. I hear it does well in the U.K. Space is very important for shaded tomatoes, I agree. Never crowd shaded tomatoes. I've tried it, more than once, and it didn't work well.

Are you growing in containers?

Some cherries are picky (not necessarily about light). Sugar Lump (AKA Gardener's Delight) doesn't seem to like my garden. Texas Wild Cherry doesn't seem to be a big fan of it, either. Same for Veni Vidi Vici and Jackie (although Jackie is early and tastes great). However, Galapagos Island, Sweet Orange Cherry, and Husky Cherry Red F1 produce well in it! Matt's Wild Cherry does decently, too. We have plenty of sun, though.

Note that what doesn't do well in my garden might do very well in another's.

Last edited by shule1; October 23, 2019 at 01:31 AM.
Old October 23, 2019   #6
shule1

I read that Black Cherry does well in a greenhouse. Adaptive Seeds likes it, and I don't think they get much light in western Oregon where they are.
Old October 23, 2019   #7
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

I had A LOT of shade before removing some trees in my back yard. Black Cherry & Husky Red always did well. I have much more light now, but I still park a selection of tomatoes in the shady areas to see what works.

Most of my tomatoes are single stem lean and lower which definitely does not work in my shaded sections. All shaded plants get plenty of room with 5 foot cages.

I was also impressed with the taste and production of MatSu Express in lower light.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2019   #8
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Post Office Spoonful** is a very good tasting currant/cherry (17 mm diameter) that probably has a bit of "wild" type bred in. It is indestructible as far as I can tell, a huge plant. I bet it would grow under very cloudy conditions. I don't know if it would be good for the prune-to-one-stem method preferred in the UK. (I have seeds; PM me.) Also, from personal experience, Bajaja** (determinate, good tasting; have seeds) and Yellow Pear are shade tolerant.

The following are reported somewhere on the Internet, to be low light tolerant:

Beefmaster F1
Black Cherry** (Have seeds) I can personally attest to the shade tolerance of this one.**
Druzba*
Green Tiger**
Indigo Apple
Jaune Flammee*
Juliet F1*
Kimberley*
Maglia Rosa** (have seeds) I can personally attest to the shade tolerance of this one.**
Matt's Wild Cherry**
Mule Team*
Plum Regal F1
Porter
Purple Calabash
Stupice
Sungold**
Sunrise Bumblebee*
Sweet Million F1*

* I surmise from their popularity that they taste good.
** I have personally tasted these; they are good.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2019   #9
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Hello everyone.
I'm glad that this thread exists.
My garden has a quite high stone wall that separates one house from another, stuck to the planted wall every year about 40 tomato plants and I have never had production, I have planted and tested many varieties.
A few years ago I raised dwarf plants and if they adapted well, I think it will be my priority option for the next season, although a dwarf plant does not produce the same as a normal plant, in this case it does produce more in the shade.
One of the dwarf plants that I liked most for its taste was Tasmanian chocolate.
Regards.
Nico

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote