Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 2, 2019   #1
Master Shake
Tomatovillian™

Default Minor glyphosate damage?

I pretty much avoid using poison at all if i can, but sometimes i cave in and use some if things are getting out of control.

So, things got a little out of control.... but instead of using a misting wand i just drilled some tiny holes in a juice bottle lid so i could control where the poison is going better, with no drifting.

I was CERTAIN that i kept it away from my tomatoes, but still a few of my plants have some very minor yellowing in the tips, and i googled the topic and it is indicative of minor glyphosate damage.

Has anyone had this same problem? If the plants survived (i think they will) did they recover fully?

I am buying black plastic next year to take my weed and creeping grass problems poison-free.

Thanks.
Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2019   #2
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

I have had this happen - I'm blaming the neighbor though!

Most of my plants did recover; some did not.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2019   #3
Master Shake
Tomatovillian™

Thanks.... i suspect they'll be ok but good to hear
Old November 3, 2019   #4
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

You might have taken good precautions to keep the poison away from the tomatoes, but a breeze will push the fumes around.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2019   #5
imp
Tomatovillian™

If using a hand held spray bottle, I have often used a taped together cone to make sure the spray goes where I want it, holding the open end of the cone down onto the ground to be sprayed. A mist can drift very easily.
Old November 3, 2019   #6
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
If using a hand held spray bottle, I have often used a taped together cone to make sure the spray goes where I want it, holding the open end of the cone down onto the ground to be sprayed. A mist can drift very easily.

I agree. I usually take a folded down cardboard box to really shield the plant.

I've wondered if any of the spray on the weed can evaporate - or form an aerosol - and blow onto my tomatoes? Don't know.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2019   #7
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Roundup can sure kill tomatoes if a heavy enough drift gets on the leaves but just a bit and they will usually recover in a week or so. Small tomato plants are much more susceptible to severe damage from glycophosphate than large mature plants. I killed a whole row of very small newly planted tomatoes foolishly spraying weeds in my path on a windy day. I am much more careful now and try not to spray in the wind but sometimes it can't be avoided and I make sure the spray is under low pressure and coarse so little if any mist is created to blow around. If the wind picks up too much when I am spraying I will just wait for it to calm or try again when it isn't blowing.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2019   #8
Master Shake
Tomatovillian™

Thanks peoples.

I wasn't 'spraying' as it seems most of you believed me to be saying.... it was just using a fruit juice bottle with a few tiny holes drilled in the lid, so i was using it more like a mini watering can, but i had to squeeze it for the mixture to come out.

I thought doing it that way would prevent ALL drift, but i can imagine that imperceptible amounts did get caught on the wind.

I will update with my results.
Old November 4, 2019   #9
Master Shake
Tomatovillian™

Well, upon further inspection now more of my tomato plants have some 'minor' glyphosate damage.... YAY

Only one plant seems to be critical but i went and snipped off any yellowing shoots.
I have no idea if that makes any difference, but it further makes me annoyed at myself for even thinking of using poison.... live and learn i guess.

Even if snipping the yellowing shoots does help them recover, i expect my yields will be compromised greatly for those plants.
Old November 4, 2019   #10
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I would honestly be skeptical that the roundup sis the damage that you see. the plant has to come in contact with the herbicide and a sprinkling on the weeds is not a droplet size that can drift.
Old November 4, 2019   #11
Chapinz8
Tomatovillian™

I had this happen a few years ago with the very top growth of three plants turning this "beautiful" yellow. Found someone else on the web who did the exact same plants, in fact, his plants could have been mine. I thought I was being extra careful. The plants did recover.

I now try to put the sprayer under very low pressure and hold the wand where it is almost touching the weed. But hey, Drift Happens!
Chapinz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2019   #12
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I would not even consider using Roundup in my garden. Seeing how destructive it is to your tomato plants and knowing that it is a probable human carcinogen, do you really want that stuff in your garden?

I use a heavy mulch in my garden for weed control. Poisons are NOT welcome.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2019   #13
Chapinz8
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
I would not even consider using Roundup in my garden. Seeing how destructive it is to your tomato plants and knowing that it is a probable human carcinogen, do you really want that stuff in your garden?

I should have been clearer. I used the Roundup about 5 feet outside the garden.
Chapinz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2019   #14
Master Shake
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post

Yes, well i try to avoid it like the plague myself and will be even more in the future, but like i said- i caved in because things were getting out of control AND i thought i was being super cautious.... but whatever, sh*t happens.
Old November 4, 2019   #15
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

If you only used it 5 feet outside of your garden and it was applied using a container more like a watering can and not sprayed, I find it unlikely that you damaged your own plants. Maybe your plants were damaged by a neighbor spraying their lawn and overspray landing on your plants.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote