Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 30, 2020   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default "Thar She Blows!"

Last evening a t-storm blew through, dumping 1.3" on us in a short time and I wondered if I'd be able to safely walk through the corn patch today and apply fertilizer. Well, there was no standing water but the corn wasn't standing either. It's always interesting to watch corn stand up.

This is the Silver Queen. It's young enough that I think it will stand up straight without looking like the letter C.

This is the Spring Treat corn. It's silking and pollinating right now so I don't know how that's going to turn out now.

In the bed next to the corn there's a good stand of Blue Lake beans and a sparse row of Kentucky Wonders. Germination wasn't good on the KYs and I replanted the many skips but a lot of that never came up either. A germination test showed 95% germination. Go figure.

I'm always amazed how plants heal themselves. Just eight days ago the collards and kale got severely deer-munched:

Every munched stem and old bottom leaves got pruned off and the plants got a dose of Miracle Grow. I failed to get a shot of what they looked like after pruning as they were about half of what you see above. This is what they look like this morning. Time to cut some kale!

And finally, a shot of flowers. Not just any flowers but some big, pretty tomato blossoms of GGWT. I love flowers in the early morning light.

GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2020   #2
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

We got some reallly wicked storms this week. I’ve been meaning to plant popcorn but haven’t gotten around to it.
I cut some kale all the way back to a 1” stump a few weeks ago when it started to bolt. It’s back and I could cut a small baby kale salad from it. I left the stump just to see what would happen. No leaves, just the stem right above ground level.
My collards and other greens have been going crazy with my dehydrator running non-stop making chips. I’m going to try some beet green and chard chips tonight.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2020   #3
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I used to grow corn in the 80's but Japanese beetles turned plants into swiss cheese.
I ran out of bags for the trap and used a bread bag.
Filled it in 1 day.Quite a stench from that.
Saved kernels to plant the next year.
White went to yellow and white.
Year after that the saved seeds produced a light yellow ear.
My best result was 5 ears per stalk.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote