Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old August 12, 2008   #1
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Default Bean there, done that? Advice needed please

I'm growing Vermont Cranberry beans for the first time. Some of the pods are bright red and some are dry and tan. I read somewhere that you should let them get dry in the pod on the plant and then harvest. Since we've been having so much rain, I was thinking to harvest the dried up ones as I see them instead of letting them sit there getting wet. Once I harvest them, what is the best thing to do? I remember reading on here, Carolyn said it's a good idea to freeze them just in case there are some hitchhikers inside. I have one of those plastic bag vacuum sealer things. I could seal them and store them in the freezer until I'm ready to use them. What's the best thing to do??

Thanks.

Jen
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2008   #2
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Jen,

They are best to dry in the pod. But the pods, after they're tan, don't have to be on the plant. I put them in mesh bags and hang 'em on a clothesline in good weather, move 'em inside in bad.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote