Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 20, 2020   #1
crunch1224
Tomatovillian™

Default NWI troubles with rain

Well I should have put my garden in around the 10th of may but rain rain and rain has kept it so wet I cant plant. Now its 10 days later and still waiting for dry days. I feel so bad because im late getting it planted. I spent so much money just getting it ready and now here i sit... Waiting and waiting. Standing water in my garden! smh. I feel so behind. I dont know what im trying to say other then I guess im ★★★★★ing. I am so frustrated. A early frost hit here where I am and killed off most of my neighbors crops, so I missed that bullet but then came the rain and it wont stop. I know I cant control the weather but jesus help me this is the worst spring I have ever had.
crunch1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2020   #2
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Seems to be a crazy season wherever we live this year Crunch, I understand your fustration
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2020   #3
Melissa S
Tomatovillian™

Oh, man, I'm sorry. This year we had the driest April on record and we are on track for the same in May. But last year we had the wettest spring on record, and the sustained rain and cool temperatures set us up for a season of terrible bugs, disease, and our smallest tomato crop ever. There's just nothing we can do about the weather. This too shall pass.
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2020   #4
crunch1224
Tomatovillian™

Well I managed to get my garden in, well most of it. I usually have 72 tomato plants but this year only 48... Sigh... My Hot houses around here have bad plants to choose from... Seems this year is kinda crappy for buying plants around me. I dont know whats going on maybe this covid 19 stuff is making people buy up all the garden pants this year or it was the early frost that killed their crops and made them buy twice as much to replant or it was the wet weather, but its slim pickings for plants around here. I will get by and I should go back to growing my own seedlings and not have to rely on other growers around here. I used to grow 48 different varieties of tomatoes changing from year to year to see what I liked. And from all that its only a handful of types.

But I digress, lol Every year seems to give a different challenge and just tells me I still have a lot to learn. One thing I do know is that if mother nature wants to mess with you she will, just because.
crunch1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2020   #5
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I also noticed that the plants in my local greenhouses were less numerous than usual. I had to go to 2 greenhouses to find eggplant.

I think that more people have decided to grow a bit of their own food after seeing food shortages.

I also think that being stuck at home has inspired people to shop at greenhouses which are something that is still open. Their parking lots are always full in my area.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote