Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 20, 2015   #1
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default still thinking about a greenhouse...

OK enablers: we're thinking about getting a small greenhouse. I'd love to grow tons of seedlings to sell for a community garden fund-raiser, along with the 50 or so I have room to plant. I'm sort of leaning toward a couple of those Big Lots plastic-covered frames (because I want to use it for my seedlings THIS year), and my partner is leaning toward a kit for a larger one (we have space for a 6x8, at least).

The weather has been wonderful for working outdoors, so far, and if we were to get the larger greenhouse, we'd have to do a bunch of projects first:
1. dig a couple of swales to redirect rainwater away from the house and garage
2. move 3 compost bins
3. create a solid, level foundation for the greenhose
4. build the thing, preferably in an afternoon (or at most a weekend)

So I'm looking for reasons to go one way or another. Have you successfully used the plastic-covered frames outdoors? The place they'd go is in bright shade most of the day, rather than seedling-roasting full sun. Do you have a kit greenhouse that you built in an afternoon and that you can recommend?
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote