Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Closed Thread

Old February 27, 2018   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
Lol! Just curious, Worth? Did you get the free catalog this year? With Brad Gates Atomic Grape on the cover? Just wondering...
Nope, all I get anymore is the one from Tomato Growers Supply Grizzly lathes and tools and The Sausage Maker.
Worth
Old February 27, 2018   #17
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Nope, all I get anymore is the one from Tomato Growers Supply Grizzly lathes and tools and The Sausage Maker.
Worth
TGS and Sausage Maker are great!
Old February 27, 2018   #18
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Their free catalog is a great read, nice pics.

To each his own when it comes to politics patriotism religion etc.

Their seeds have grown well. Haven't bought from them in a while, and have gravitated to Park Seed and Harris for greens & herbs, and High Mowing for most others.

Tradewinds gets a thumbs up too.

Artisan seeds should be mentioned in the enthusiastic thumbs up category.

Thumbs down on SeedsnSuch

Last edited by Gerardo; February 27, 2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old February 27, 2018   #19
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I've had much better results with Ferry~Morse than with Baker Creek.
Old February 28, 2018   #20
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I knew I should not have replied to this thread. I just gave my honest results. I don't like using the word, "Honest". Everything I write is honest to my understanding. I don't have time or reason for lies.

nyrfan, I can understand your feelings even if I agree or not, but if I were a moderator - I would remove this thread.
Old February 28, 2018   #21
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Original post deleted - M.

But this is the place for making a big deal about seed vendors good or bad, but not the place for discussions on politics.
Old February 28, 2018   #22
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

The catalog is a wonderful wintertime read, and a feast for the eyes. It does have some varieties of vegetables and fruit that I've not seen anywhere else, and I have had good luck, with some, and not so good luck with some others. Pretty much the same as with any other seed seller. I don't rely on them for my basics, my grow-every-year seeds. Just the unusual.
Old February 28, 2018   #23
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I've tried some of their seeds, most germinated well, the one that didn't was a rare orange berry from Solanum family. Not sure about the accuracy of their names.

While I can understand those who strongly dislike any vendor expressing opinions /letting their convictions be seen and heard, I think it's the right of any business owner to express their views and use the business as an instrument to voice those opinions. I may agree or disagree about the rightness and wrongness of those views, but their validity / non-validity doesn't change the 'freedom of speech' aspect. It's not just politicians who have the priviledge to shape the society through their views and comments. Anyone has the right to shape their business to the direction they want to. The customer, then, decides where to buy.
Of course, there is a wide variety of ways how to use that freedom and it can be used tactfully or not so tactfully...

Last edited by NarnianGarden; February 28, 2018 at 05:39 AM.
Old February 28, 2018   #24
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I've tried some of their seeds, most germinated well, the one that didn't was a rare orange berry from Solanum family. Not sure about the accuracy of their names.

While I can understand those who strongly dislike any vendor expressing opinions /letting their convictions be seen and heard, I think it's the right of any business owner to express their views and use the business as an instrument to voice those opinions. I may agree or disagree about the rightness and wrongness of those views, but their validity / non-validity doesn't change the 'freedom of speech' aspect. It's not just politicians who have the priviledge to shape the society through their views and comments. Anyone has the right to shape their business to the direction they want to. The customer, then, decides where to buy.
Of course, there is a wide variety of ways how to use that freedom and it can be used tactfully or not so tactfully...
Old February 28, 2018   #25
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I have ordered from them for years and have always had good results with their seeds. I like their reasonable shipping prices. The other seed company I use is High Mowing Seeds. They offer free shipping on orders over $10. I won't order from companies that have high shipping costs.
Old February 28, 2018   #26
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

The owner of a company has the right to express his opinions and the folks that see these opinions have the right to disagree with them. But the members here don't have the right to express political opinions-that is a violation of the terms of service. So I am going to close this thread.