Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old September 23, 2007   #1
johno
Tomatovillian™

Default ? 4 Tom Wagner

Tom, I am curious, is there a list of all the varieties you have created over the years?
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2007   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Johno,

Quote:
Tom, I am curious, is there a list of all the varieties you have created over the years?
Interesting your curiosity, noting that some folks on TVille, and elsewhere, have tried to put together their own lists of my creations. Morgan (feldon30) sent the following list to me as an affirmation request of sorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30
My list of Tom Wagner's varieties:

Banana Cream
Banana Legs
Brandystripe
Brown Stripe
Brown Derby
Elberta Girl
Green Bell Pepper Tomato
Green Grape
Green Zebra
Greensleeves
Greenwich
Lime Green Salad (Green Elf)
Schimmeig Stoo
Schimmeig Creg
Snow Berries
Troo Glass
So, Johno, as a writer, are you 'ed, because of the shear number of varieties that are attributed to me, or are you 'ed, because of the pomposity of it all, or even the dearth of it?

If you look at the list feldon30 provided, the tomatoes fall into collective classes of heirloom varieties for want of a better term. Note that all of the tomatoes listed here are odd colors, ie., green, stripes, brown, yellow, or white. No red tomatoes, no orange tomatoes, no bicolored tomatoes, or even black tomatoes are in that list.

The issues of my Tater Mater Seeds catalog listed other colors during the years 1983 to 1986. I need to scan pages from those years' catalogs just to show the history of some of those varieties if nothing else.

Some of the creations that I carried then and seldom mentioned are Jiarg, Ruissagh, Cary On-Carry On, Glamour-Evergreen, Never Will,Buigh, etc.

I try to maintain viable seed of old varieties that I have created but never sent out for trials. I also maintain the continuity of newer strains that have reached genetic stability or are approaching that uniformity.

On top of any list of my varieties are varieties created out of accidental crosses between my lines and others. Hobbyists all across the country have their own releases, such as Striped Roman, Black Zebra, Berkeley Tie Die, and many others.

I have made thousands upon thousands of F-1 hybrids, each of which could theoretically be termed a variety. Most were made to introgress or recombine genes. The preponderance of the selfing of those hybrids into different types lead to dead-ends. Some of those lines are, either no longer viable, not important enough to sow again, or are awaiting prioritized seeding agendas.
  • Examples of unreleased material:
  • Male Sterile lines of many earlier creations or named varieties that are maintained as segregating heterozygous populations.
  • Wild species of tomatoes introgresed into numerous lines.
  • Commercial red tomato types.
  • Novelty color combinations, ie., pink skin, green flesh, orange and green skin with green flesh, etc.
  • Near isogenic lines, ie., backcrosses of Green Grape are especially numerous.
  • True breeding lines that are maintained with heterogeneity in one or more traits. l
So, Johno, there is no way I could ever list everything that is currently available to the public, partly due to name changes, and my non-released varieties will likely die through normal attrition and neglect.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2007   #3
johno
Tomatovillian™

As a writer... I am embarrased to admit I had to look up "dearth."

I used the wide-eyed emoticon more as a suggestion that I'm ready to pay attention than it's intended meaning of shocked; but it is shocking, the amount you have contributed to the world of tomatoes.

I'm not new to growing heirloom tomatoes, but studying their histories in more depth than what can be read in catalog descriptions is a somewhat new endeavor of mine. Reading TV posts over the past several months, I've only been aware of your work recently. The more I read about it, the more interested I've become.

I guess when I read the bit about Schimmeig Stoo a few days ago, that was the drop that made the full glass overflow. I realized that you had been doing this since I was in jr. high school!

I'm not asking you to prepare a list for me, I just wondered if there was one floating around that I missed.

I am also curious in particular about your role in striped tomatoes.

Thank you for the reply.
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2007   #4
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Johno,

I am 'ed that dearth was an earthly mystery!!
The mirth shook my ample girth 'til I was in misery.
A renewed birth of a underused word is not born of mastery,
but is it worth its weight in gold for implied tomfoolery!

Noting lately that many newer members to the TVille are recently learning about some of my tomato varieties of old, this vacuum is jump-starting my posting about tomato varieties of new. If there is a paucity of information about my varieties; perhaps it is safe to say that I am guilty of a paucity of forthcoming enlightenment.

Its not that I am too busy to care, it's more like I have been too busy to share.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2007   #5
tessa
Tomatovillian™

well...whenever you have time to share, tom, i'm reading this thread and interested in knowing about which tomotoes stem from your work.
i'm fairly a newbie...yet to have a truly successful tomato season...but i know i've got one of your tommies (green zebra) and perhaps a second (if the green grape reference is correct) and i'm thinking that it's just fabulously cool to find your work in my own garden.
tessa is offline   Reply With Quote