Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 5, 2018   #1
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Default help with tomato plants

Good morning from Spain and thanks in advance, some of my tomato plants are put the lower yellow leaves and spots, someone knows what is due? Maybe it's that it has rained on tomato plants? Thank you.
Nico
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180505_091252.jpg (429.7 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180505_091306.jpg (351.6 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180505_091516.jpg (242.6 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180505_091529.jpg (297.8 KB, 121 views)

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2018   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

Hi Nicolas.
The white spots underneath the leaves certainly look like insect activity to me, so the brown spots could be feeding damage.
In the first picture, this plant is pale green but I notice the new leaves are darker. So this suggests to me a nitrogen deficiency, possibly brought about by transplant stress, and/or too much water, and needing to adjust to conditions in the field, ie the root growth has to catch up with the shoots after being moved out of a small container.
Some N-rich liquid fertilizer such as a fish emulsion may help, for plants that are pale.

Also as the plants begin to grow strongly, they are less vulnerable to pests or disease. IMO. So anything that strengthens the plants will help. Some pests are more attracted to a high-N growth but in this case it appears the trouble is worst on older leaves. That suggests to me that a feeding will help.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2018   #3
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Nicholas, I don't know what it is. But if they were my plants I would cut off all the parts with spots. Then, wash your hands and the scissors, in case it is disease.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2018   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Septoria leaf spot due to the rain is the brown spots, the yellowing is overwatering and not enough nitrogen.After removing leaves with brown spots, use a fungicide like liquid copper for the Septoria, at 1/2 of the weakest recommended strength. Use 1 Tablespoon Epsom salt per gallon of water for greening up the leaves, but wait for it to dry out first.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2018   #5
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Good morning, thank you very much for your help, a friend in Spain has recommended me 3% hydrogen peroxide and reduced with water .20% peroxide and the rest of rainwater to fight the fungus, I did not know the salt of epsom to try ..... thank you very much again and have a good day.
Nico

Nico.
Old May 6, 2018   #6
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Epsom salt is used sprayed on the leaves? or directly on the land where the tomato is? Thank you

Nico.
Old May 6, 2018   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasGarcia View Post
Epsom salt is used sprayed on the leaves? or directly on the land where the tomato is? Thank you
Epsom salt us magnesium sulfate. Not sprayed, soaked directly into the land is the way. 1 Tablespoon dissolved into 1 gallon water.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2018   #8
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

OK thank you very much

Nico.
Old May 6, 2018   #9
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I think the root system is not established yet. All sort of deficiencies appear after transplanting, especially in cold soil (I assume your soil is not cold though?), and it's just the incapacity of the plant to uptake well. You just need to wait.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2018   #10
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Thank you very much
Nico

Nico.