Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 23, 2018   #1
Whistlebritche
Tomatovillian™

Default Why do my tomatoes have cracks in them

I have four Celebrity plants loaded with maters.My problem is as they get close to ripe they split in 3-4 spots running from the stem end maybe 1/3 to halfway down the side.I had the same problem last year.Great tomatoes just ugly..........Any and all advice on how to correct this is welcome.

My cherry tomatoes are perfect and same as last year...........outgrowing their cage.
Whistlebritche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2018   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I have the same problem this year. What I am to understand is that I overwatered.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2018   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

pick them just as they start to turn, especially if there is any rain in the forecast and let them finish ripening indoors. that should help prevent the problem. I don`t think there is any advantage in leaving tomatoes on the vine beyond blush and lots of problems, splitting, overripe, critters, birds, rot, slugs,... can wreck the beautiful result of your hard work before you can get to them. cut them off dont pull.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2018   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Are you watering them or are they getting rain as soon as they blush? that will cause cracking. they can bot stretch their skin and as they absorb water they split trying to accommodate the up take of it.
Old June 23, 2018   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

There are three kinds of splitting ,aka you said cracks,that I know of and I'm not speaking necessarily about too much rain,changes in heat levels, etc.

Some are specific to certain named varieties

Splits go out from the stem end in kind of a ray
pattern,splits are deep and usually heal over and are then dark colored, almost black. If more rain, etc,they can resplit and that can start a rotting process.

Splits occur again at the stem end of the fruit but are in concentric circles around the stem and that's called concentric splitting. Same possible consequences as mentioned above.

The 3rd kind of splitting occurs along the side of a fruit, called vertical splitting and this one is the one that usually too much water getting into the fruit,either by too much rain or too much watering.Those splits usually don't heal up,just too much turgor pressure inside the fruit.

Carolyn
Old June 24, 2018   #6
Whistlebritche
Tomatovillian™

Thanks........I water down the row.I have been watering twice a week.......I'll cut back to once.We did have about 10 inches of rain over a two week period,it ended a couple weeks ago.Yea,10 inches of rain in West Texas in June........unheard of here in these parts.

I do appreciate all responses
Whistlebritche is offline   Reply With Quote