Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old February 13, 2014   #1
strax
Tomatovillian™

Default Lima Bean Suggestions Wanted

I'd like to try some pole lima beans for the market this year. looking for great flavor and production. any suggestions?

thanks,
strax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2014   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

For a pole lima, I really like the flavor of Willow Leaf White. That is my favorite variety. SESE and Victory used to carry it but neither has it this year. My second choice would be a larger seeded variety called King of the Garden. It has very tall vines and is very productive.
Old February 14, 2014   #3
strax
Tomatovillian™

thank you,

shelly!
Old February 14, 2014   #4
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean View Post
For a pole lima, I really like the flavor of Willow Leaf White. That is my favorite variety. SESE and Victory used to carry it but neither has it this year. My second choice would be a larger seeded variety called King of the Garden. It has very tall vines and is very productive.
Thank you! I found some at Reimer Seeds and a few other places with Google search.
Old February 17, 2014   #5
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Both varieties are available at Vermont Bean this year. I will be growing Willow Leaf White.
Old February 17, 2014   #6
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Lima beans once they get about 8 inches tall will protect plants in nearby rows from potato beetles and flea beetles (such as eggplant). After I harvested the lima beans, I made a tea from the lima bean leaves to see if it will provide protection until the limas get big enough to start working this Spring. Claud
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2014   #7
strax
Tomatovillian™

i ordered some of the willow leaf.

very interesting on the flea beatles. nothing i have tried has worked very well for flea beatles on eggplant. you are saying that just planting them nearby will help, eh? worth a shot. txs
Old February 17, 2014   #8
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

"very interesting on the flea beatles. nothing i have tried has worked very well for flea beatles on eggplant. you are saying that just planting them nearby will help, eh? worth a shot. txs "

Yes, I read a little blurb somewhere on the internet, just "I heard lima beans will keep potato beetles off eggplant." No details or anything else. The garlic pepper spray I use on everything wasn't working for me in this regard so I planted a row of Early Long Purple eggplant in the middle of a 4' raised bed with 30" between plants. Then I planted two rows of Henderson Bush Baby lima beans on either side of the eggplant on the same bed. I had some extra eggplant transplants left over so I planted them on the next row without any lima beans. About 6 feet from the row with the limas.

As soon as the eggplant were in the ground, flea beetles buckshotted the leaves and I had to hand pick the potato beetles and larva on a daily basis for about 3 weeks until the limas leafed out, then the flea beetles and potato beetles abandoned the Eggplant. But it also worked for the row of eggplants which was planted 6' away.

And vegetable trellis netting really works for tomatoes, cucumbers, and beans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garden 7-02-2013 015.jpg (301.2 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg Garden 8-05-2013 030.jpg (247.4 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Garden 7-26-2013 003.jpg (274.0 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg Garden 7-26-2013 006.jpg (215.6 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Garden 7-26-2013 023.jpg (271.1 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg Beans 003.jpg (276.5 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by saltmarsh; February 17, 2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old June 13, 2014   #9
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

There's a few different strains of Willow Leaf White out there. I'm with SESE, we like to carry Willow Leaf White, but a few years ago we realized that the strain we have isn't as willow-y as it could be. I was at a talk David Bradshaw was giving, and he showed a slide of his Willow Leaf White crop, which had nice long, thin leaves -- much more willow-y than the wider triangular leafed strain that we had. So we've been trying to do a seed increase of Dr. Bradshaw's strain, and hopefully in a few years we'll be back to having it again!

Heavenly Seed has Dr. Bradshaw's strain -- http://www.heavenlyseed.net/proddeta...tterbeansPkt50
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2014   #10
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

The Lima bean tea does work. I used it at transplant on my eggplant, tomatoes, and peppers. Repelled the flea beatles and Colorado Potato beatles. The only plants with any potato beatles were some Sophie's Choice tomatoes which weren't sprayed at a later planting. Crushed the larvae and sprayed with tea. No more problems.

To make the tea put 3 gallons of hot water and 1 packed gallon of lima bean hulls and fresh leaves into a large stock pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a slow boil and continue boiling for 15 minutes. Remove heat and allow to cool covered overnight.

When the tea has cooled, strain and store in containers (I use 2 liter drink bottles). Store out of direct sunlight until needed.

After a few months, a mold will form around the top of the tea. This does not effect the tea, simply strain before using.

To use, spray full strength on plants at transplant. Respray every 7 - 10 days or after heavy rain as needed.

This year I'm trying an Italian heirloom, Super Marconi from Franchi Seeds and I interplanted the lima beans with the tomatoes peppers and eggplant. Claud

http://www.growitalian.com/bean-pole...marconi-57-30/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garden 6-7-2014 007.JPG (255.1 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Garden 6-7-2014 003.JPG (277.4 KB, 97 views)
Old June 17, 2014   #11
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Interesting!! So did you save and use lima bean hulls from last year?
Old June 17, 2014   #12
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
Interesting!! So did you save and use lima bean hulls from last year?
Ken I made tea from the hulls last year for use this year. It kept fine without refrigeration. Claud
Old June 18, 2014   #13
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Claud -- green hulls or brown hulls?
Old June 18, 2014   #14
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
Claud -- green hulls or brown hulls?
Green hulls and leaves. 1 packed gallon of leaves and hulls + 3 gallons of water = 3 gallons of tea.
Old June 21, 2014   #15
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Thanks -- a couple other things = was Henderson Bush the variety you made the tea with? And, at what temperature did you store the lima bean tea?