Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 25, 2007   #1
bbjm
Tomatovillian™

Default Florescent Bulb Questions??

I have a perfect spot to start seeds under a light on top of my fridge. The fixture is a can light, with a flood type light in it. My question: Can I buy a florescent bulb and stick that in there? What do I need to look for in a bulb? Will any florescent bulb work?

I have a florescent shop light (two bulbs, 24 inches or so). I just really don't want to rig something up to make that work if I can figure this can light thing out. My seedlings on top of the fridge would stay out of the way. I could even put a little fan up there.

Sorry if this question has been answered. I tried to do a little search, but had no luck.
bbjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2007   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Seedlings in a rectangular tray are going to try to reach towards the light coming out of that round can light. And would you be able to raise the seedlings up so they are no more than 2 inches from the light bulb?

Last edited by feldon30; March 25, 2007 at 10:45 PM.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2007   #3
bbjm
Tomatovillian™

Well crud. Hadn't thought about them reaching for the light source and forgot about the 2 inch thing. Guess I'll rig something up in the garage. Thanks.
Old March 25, 2007   #4
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjm View Post
I have a perfect spot to start seeds under a light on top of my fridge. The fixture is a can light, with a flood type light in it. My question: Can I buy a florescent bulb and stick that in there? What do I need to look for in a bulb? Will any florescent bulb work?
I have a florescent shop light (two bulbs, 24 inches or so). I just really don't want to rig something up to make that work if I can figure this can light thing out. My seedlings on top of the fridge would stay out of the way. I could even put a little fan up there.---------
-
By "can light" do you mean regular screw-in bulb socket? If so you may need a compact fluorescent bulb of 85w (not 85w equivalent) or more daylight (5000k). these bulbs are expensive. You should consider 48" fluorescent shoplight type fixtures. Two-tube 24" would not give you enough light to start too many seedlings.

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2007   #5
peppereater
Tomatovillian™

Keep in mind that you don't need the extra heat of the fridge after germination. Light is the critical element.
Old April 1, 2007   #6
bbjm
Tomatovillian™

I gave up on the 'fridge idea and placed them in a south facing window and things are looking great. All are up except my peppers. I have heat under them and hope they will come up soon. Thanks for the feedback.
Old April 2, 2007   #7
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

congrats! This is my 2nd year trying pepper seeds in earnest, and theyre actually looking pretty OK!
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote