Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old April 2, 2018   #1
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default Sun Orange and Sun Green

I started 1 seed of each on March 2 which is extremely late for Florida. I was really interested in Sun Orange when I read about it here. Curiosity took over, and I bought the seeds and rather than wait until August - October to sow them, I gave each a 1 seed trial. Sun Orange is suppose to be the improved SunGold with larger fruit and no splitting. Time will tell.

Here are the seedlings at exactly 1 month from sowing. The Sun Orange is on the right and has a few buds forming.

I think I can get fruit before the nights get too warm. They are cherries after all. These plants have endured a lot of wind in the last month.

I'm going to plant these out later this week. I need to free up an Earthbox, or just plant in a Root Pouch.

This season (starts with August sowing), I've grown SunChocola, SunPeach, and continued with SunGold. I'm loving these Tokita varieties and of the 3, Sun Peach is my favorite. I will be growing some others in the fall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SunOrange and Green 1 mo since sowed.jpg (288.4 KB, 512 views)

Last edited by Barb_FL; April 2, 2018 at 10:36 PM.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #2
imp
Tomatovillian™

I've heard that even the plant of Sun Gold has a particular scent - does yours and the Sun Orange also have this scent?

I'll be growing out Sun Gold for the first time this year, so I am curious.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #3
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Yes, SunGold has it's own scent and it is strong. I've been sniffing SunOrange since it's first true leaves. I think I notice the scent; not sure it's as strong as SG though. However, I never made a point of sniffing SunGolds like I've been doing with SO.

I grew out a SG cutting; it is quite a mature plant now and the tomatoes are larger than the typical SG.
Old April 2, 2018   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Barb, I am interested in your findings.

The Sungold plant does have it's own scent to it. When it rains every day for weeks that scent turns to sunskunk I had to hold my breath at times near the Sungold plant back in 2015 when it rained so much here.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #5
imp
Tomatovillian™

Hadn't grown it, though many here seemed to like it. BTW, the plants look very good, nice dark green leaves.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #6
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Hi Barb, those plants look really good. I am really excited to be able to try these two as well this season. From Tokita - "Yes, SunOrange is our variety. Initially we promoted it as a Sungold improved variety..." I'm certainly hoping it is a winner.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2018   #7
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Sun Sugar for three years now. It smells good to me. It doesn't smell like the other tomatoes. Almost a fruity hoppy smell. Never grown Sun Gold so I don't if it is similar.
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2018   #8
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

CamuMahubah, Not to change topics from OP but you really should try Sungold before you fully ban hybrids!

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2018   #9
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al@NC View Post
CamuMahubah, Not to change topics from OP but you really should try Sungold before you fully ban hybrids!

Al
There not fully banned forever but I want to save seeds. I got Egg Yolk free from totally tomato and ALittleSalt sent me Porter. I don't know if there is enough difference between Sun Sugar and Sun Gold to warrant paying for seeds.
Old April 6, 2018   #10
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamuMahubah View Post
There not fully banned forever but I want to save seeds. I got Egg Yolk free from totally tomato and ALittleSalt sent me Porter. I don't know if there is enough difference between Sun Sugar and Sun Gold to warrant paying for seeds.
Sunsugar is a hybrid. Seminis-Petoseed, 1999.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/SunSugar_F1
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2018   #11
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGlew View Post
Sunsugar is a hybrid. Seminis-Petoseed, 1999.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/SunSugar_F1
Yah I know that. I've grown it for several years.
Old April 9, 2018   #12
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default Here they are - 5 weeks from sowing

Planted the two seedlings out on Friday, April 6. They were so root bound; I could have easily planted them out earlier.

They really grew a lot since that last picture. Put on some stem girth too.

SunGreen is taller and has one cluster of buds; SunOrange has one cluster flowering and another cluster of buds.

Sun Orange has that Sun Gold scent.

----
Next milestone Fruit set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SGr and SO 5 weeks since sow.jpg (380.4 KB, 403 views)
Old April 14, 2018   #13
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

...and could you share where you purchased your seeds? Looking at the web, I only find Osborne and Norseco (which I presume is in Canada?). Norseco was $28/for 50 seeds and Osborne was $70 for 10 seeds. (???)
-GG

Edit: Evidently the "10 seeds" is a no-no. I tried 50 and 100 seeds and got more realistic prices of $15 and $27. A 50-seed quantity for $15 is not so bad. Looking forward to seeing how they do overall for you -- say against Esterina which is really good, I think.

Last edited by Greatgardens; April 14, 2018 at 07:58 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2018   #14
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
...and could you share where you purchased your seeds? Looking at the web, I only find Osborne and Norseco (which I presume is in Canada?). Norseco was $28/for 50 seeds and Osborne was $70 for 10 seeds. (???)
-GG

Edit: Evidently the "10 seeds" is a no-no. I tried 50 and 100 seeds and got more realistic prices of $15 and $27. A 50-seed quantity for $15 is not so bad. Looking forward to seeing how they do overall for you -- say against Esterina which is really good, I think.
I ordered the SunGreen and SunOrange from Osborne.

Their pricing is :

$10.90 for 25
$15.55 for 50
$24.90 for 100

I will definitely keep this thread updated as the plants grow. I only trialed the one seed because it was so late in the year. I'm just so happy they are vigorous growers so I can get to taste one this spring.
Old April 14, 2018   #15
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Barb. Wouldn't it be wonderful if it tastes like Sungold but larger and more crack resistant!
-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote