Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old December 30, 2019   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Cauliflower SUCCESS!

After many failures trying to grow cauliflower I was giving up the effort until a few of you urged me to try 'Amazing'. Ok, I'll bite... just ONE more time and that's it. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

The plants had gotten real big but I couldn't see or feel any head forming. Then all that rain came over the past ten days. All of a sudden, two days ago I discovered four heads had just appeared out of nowhere! Three were about 3-5" wide but here's the best one, which I cut today. Although it doesn't look it in the photo, it's the purest white and 7" wide. Wow!

Since the heads have outgrown their covering leaves, I pulled up the leaves on the other four and held them together with a clothespin. That should do the trick. I love clothespins. Nine gazillion uses.

GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2019   #2
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Those look, well, AMAZING! Nice work!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2019   #3
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Great!!!!!!!!
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2019   #4
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Note to self: Move to Georgia and grow Amazing cauliflower in December! - Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2019   #5
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I tried these in the spring and only one puny, discolored head formed, confirming that spring weather is way too iffy. Fall is definitely the key here. So glad I keep good notes on planting dates!
Old December 31, 2019   #6
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations. Amazing is the only cauliflower that I ever grow. I don't even pull the leaves over it and it seems to self blanch. It's very tasty too. I don't look at it every day and then one day I look and Poof! there's a head forming.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2019   #7
MissS
Tomatovillian™

What a beautiful cauliflower. I am so glad that you persistence has finally paid off.
Old December 31, 2019   #8
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I usually give everything new three strikes before it's out. Cauliflower got four or five because I just can't stand not being able to grow some stubborn brassica when I can grow others well. It was just a matter of finding the right variety.

Now beets are another story. I have officially given up on them.
Old January 1, 2020   #9
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Note to self: Move to Georgia and grow Amazing cauliflower in December! - Lisa

Exactly my thought, haha.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2020   #10
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Dawg growing cauliflower down here is more a matter of getting the timing right than the variety. I have gone as long as two years without getting a single decent head and then for the next few year every kind I plant does terrific in both fall and spring. If you set your plants out in late January or very early February they will usually make really good in the spring. It is important to cover them with hoops if it gets below freezing for long. They are a lot like Brussels sprouts in that some years they just do terribly and then the next year you can't eat them fast enough.

I usually have good luck with Snow Crown but it will make small heads if it is too hot when they are set out or if it gets too warm too early in the spring. The heads on them usually range a bit larger or smaller than 5 or 6 inches but then sometimes they are all small or you can get some huge ones. If I want a bunch of really larger cauliflower I grow one called Bishop. You can get some heads close to 10 inches across but they generally around 7 to 8 inches across but they take a week or two longer to make.

I haven't grown Amazing but will get a packet next year and try them. I too am a big fan of the clothespins for keeping leaf cover over large cauliflower. If you can keep them well shaded they are so much whiter.

Congratulations on your success.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2020   #11
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Bill,

Do you hear that noise? It's the sweet siren call of Romanesco.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2020   #12
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I just can't grow any. If I try in the spring, it won't do well because it will bolt since the weather is hot in the summer. If I try for autumn, thousands of flea beetles appear from nowhere and destroy them, no matter how big the transplant.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2020   #13
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

? When cauliflower bolts, that is when the heads form. Same with romanesco.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2020   #14
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Bolting in cauliflower means premature flowering before a real head forms. The head will grow fast once it starts, and if the conditions are not good at that time, like too dry or sudden heat, it will stop growing and will flower.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2020   #15
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I tried this fall with purchased transplants and agribon over it. I ran drip tape and kept it somewhat watered. Plants looked great. Moths seemed to be over so I took the cover off for a day and a half, then put it right back on due to cabbage moths. Out of 6, all somewhat buggy, 1 good head, 1 smaller head, 2 tiny heads,, and two nothings. Broccoli in the next row grew 10 good heads out of 12. I just can't seem to justify the work and space for cauliflower. But I'll probably give in and try again sometime. That Amazing is what I should try next but I think I have to keep it covered the whole time. Maybe take a coleman stove under the tunnel and cook the cauliflower right so there is NO CHANCE for worms?!
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote